Difference between revisions of "New Danville Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(added additional information and map)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
__TOC__
 
The New Danville Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), in [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Mennonite Conference]], was built on the land of [[Burkholder, Hans (d. ca. 1745)|Bishop Hans Burkholder]] and Melchior Brenneman, pioneers of 1717. The [[Cemeteries|cemetery]] is still there. In the overflow from the Lampeter-Strasburg settlement of 1710 many of the new arrivals in 1717 came into this area. The first meetinghouse, built in 1755 in this stump land, was called Stumptown. It was replaced in 1855 and 1878 by stone churches, and therefore became known as the Stone Church. The new one of brick built in 1907 gradually took on the present name of the nearby town. This was the home district of [[Boehm, Martin (1725-1812)|Bishop Martin Boehm]], organizer of the United Brethren Church. The membership in 1956 was 260, with David N. Thomas as bishop and James H. Hess as the minister. A three-room Christian day school nearby was sponsored by the district.
 
The New Danville Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), in [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Mennonite Conference]], was built on the land of [[Burkholder, Hans (d. ca. 1745)|Bishop Hans Burkholder]] and Melchior Brenneman, pioneers of 1717. The [[Cemeteries|cemetery]] is still there. In the overflow from the Lampeter-Strasburg settlement of 1710 many of the new arrivals in 1717 came into this area. The first meetinghouse, built in 1755 in this stump land, was called Stumptown. It was replaced in 1855 and 1878 by stone churches, and therefore became known as the Stone Church. The new one of brick built in 1907 gradually took on the present name of the nearby town. This was the home district of [[Boehm, Martin (1725-1812)|Bishop Martin Boehm]], organizer of the United Brethren Church. The membership in 1956 was 260, with David N. Thomas as bishop and James H. Hess as the minister. A three-room Christian day school nearby was sponsored by the district.
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =

Latest revision as of 17:37, 19 March 2014

The New Danville Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, was built on the land of Bishop Hans Burkholder and Melchior Brenneman, pioneers of 1717. The cemetery is still there. In the overflow from the Lampeter-Strasburg settlement of 1710 many of the new arrivals in 1717 came into this area. The first meetinghouse, built in 1755 in this stump land, was called Stumptown. It was replaced in 1855 and 1878 by stone churches, and therefore became known as the Stone Church. The new one of brick built in 1907 gradually took on the present name of the nearby town. This was the home district of Bishop Martin Boehm, organizer of the United Brethren Church. The membership in 1956 was 260, with David N. Thomas as bishop and James H. Hess as the minister. A three-room Christian day school nearby was sponsored by the district.

Additional Information

Address: 103 Marticville Rd, Lancaster, PA 17603

Phone: 717-872-8111

Website: New Danville Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliations:

Lancaster Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

Map

Map:New Danville Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "New Danville Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=New_Danville_Mennonite_Church_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116310.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1957). New Danville Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=New_Danville_Mennonite_Church_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116310.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 861. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.