From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:09, 16 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Nikolaipol was the name of numerous Mennonite villages in Russia. In the province of Ekaterinoslav (now Dnipropetrovsk) Mennonites from Chortitza and Kronsweide established the Nikolaipol settlement in 1869-1872 with eight villages, one of them also called Nikolaipol, originally Nikolaifeld, with 5,130 acres of land. In 1912 it had a population of 314 and was the seat of a Mennonite congregation, which built a church between Nikolaipol and Franzfeld in 1888. To this congregation belonged the Mennonites of the following villages: Eichenfeld (Dubovka), Neu Hochfeld (Morozovo), where in 1905 a congregation of the "Evangelical Mennonite Brethren" was also organized, Adelsheim  (Dolinovka), Franzfeld  (Varvarovka), Reinfeld (Tchistopol), Paulsheim (Pavlovka), and Petersdorf (Nadeschovka).  Dubovka, the village  destroyed  during  the Revolution, most of  whose male population was killed on 26 October 1919, was also a part of this congregation, which had a membership of 500.  The Mennonite Brethren had a subsidiary congregation and chapel in Nikolaipol, whose members also lived in the above eight villages. Before World War I the settlement was very prosperous, and many of the settlers were able to replace their simple homes with stately residences. All the villages had schools from the beginning. In the village of Nikolaipol a large Zentralschule was built in 1906, with an enrollment of about 100. It was later changed into an agricultural school and taken over by the government. In 1892 another village called Nikolaipol was founded in the province of Ekaterinoslav, Santurinovskaya district, Bachmut area, Borissovo settlement (daughter settlement of Chortitza), with 204 inhabitants in 1912.

A congregation with this name was founded in 1881 in Asia, in the region of Sir-Darya, at the foot of the Thianschan Mountain (on the Talash River) in Turkestan by Mennonites from the Am Trakt settlement, whose members lived in five villages. The congregation built a hospital near Tashkent in the village of Nikolaipol in 1908 for the care of sick Kirghiz.

One of the villages in the Slavgorod settlement (formerly Barnaul), province of Omsk, was called Nikolaipol.


Bibliography

Dirks, Heinrich. Statistik der Mennonitengemeinden in Russland Ende 1905 (Anhang zum Mennonitischen Jahrbuche 1904/05). Gnadenfeld: Dirks, 1906.

Epp, David H. Die Memriker Ansiedlung: zum 25-jährigen Bestehen derselben im Herbst 1910. Kalinowo, Post Shelannaja, Gouv. Jekaterinoslaw: D.J. Warkentin, 1910.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 255.

Quiring, Jacob. Die Mundart von Chortitza in Süd-Russland: Inaugural-Dissertation zur Erlangung der Doktorwürde der philosophischen Fakultat (1. Sekt.) der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität zu München. München: Druckerei Studentenhaus München, Universität, 1928: 31 f.

Mennonitisches Jahrbuch (1908): 87.

Neuer Haus- und Landwirtschafts-Kalender (1913): 32, 50, 52, 70.



Author(s) Christian Hege
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Hege, Christian. "Nikolaipol." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nikolaipol&oldid=59568.

APA style

Hege, Christian. (1957). Nikolaipol. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nikolaipol&oldid=59568.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 881-882. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.