The Nordheimer Mennonite congregation in Elbow, SK began services in 1927. The first building was occupied in 1953. Johann J. Klassen is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union.
The congregation was part of the Nordheimer group. It never had its own minister but was served by ministers from the Hanley-Dundurn district.
The Elbow group occasionally held services together with the Mennonite Brethren in the area. They purchased a school building for worship together with the MBs. Membership dwindled as people passed away and moved away and when the building was badly damaged by lightening in 1968, the decision was made to close the church. The remaining members joined the Hanley church.
The congregation had been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1925-68) and General Conference Mennonite Church (1926-68).
Nordheimer Mennonite Church of Saskatchewan 1925-1975. Hanley, SK: Nordheimer Mennonite Church, 1975, 140 pp.
|Author(s)||G. J. Warkentin|
|Date Published||August 1986|
Cite This Article
Warkentin, G. J. and Marlene Epp. "Nordheimer Mennonite Church (Elbow, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 1986. Web. 23 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nordheimer_Mennonite_Church_(Elbow,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=59613.
Warkentin, G. J. and Marlene Epp. (August 1986). Nordheimer Mennonite Church (Elbow, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nordheimer_Mennonite_Church_(Elbow,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=59613.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.