From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The North Georgetown Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, was located 10 miles (16 km) southwest of Salem, Ohio, near the village of New Alexandria, Columbiana County. It was organized about 1840. In 1858 a small frame building was erected on land donated by Jacob Newcomer. Christian Holdeman (1788-1846), the father of the John Holdeman who founded the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, settled nearby in Knox Township, Columbiana County, in 1825, moving to Wayne County in 1844. Henry Newcomer and Henry Walters were ministers. In 1879 the membership of this group was reported as about 15 members. The church never had a Sunday school. Its last service was held in 1885.


Author(s) Wilmer D Swope
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Swope, Wilmer D. "North Georgetown Mennonite Church (New Alexandria, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Georgetown_Mennonite_Church_(New_Alexandria,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113418.

APA style

Swope, Wilmer D. (1957). North Georgetown Mennonite Church (New Alexandria, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Georgetown_Mennonite_Church_(New_Alexandria,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113418.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 917. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.