The Northside Mennonite Church (first Lima Mission, then Jefferson Street Mennonite (Mennonite Church)) was organized in the southeastern part of the city of Lima, Ohio, in January 1910 as a result of mission interest at the Pike and Salem congregations. E. E. Troyer and C. D. Brenneman were the first superintendents. Later in the year Preacher B. B. Stoltzfus and family of West Liberty were invited to locate at the mission. Several years later Mennonites were invited to assist in a Sunday school conducted on North Jefferson Street by the Presbyterian Board. The congregations in Allen, Logan, Champaign, and Fulton counties assisted B. B. Stoltzfus and his family in remodeling the church and building a home for the workers, completed in 1917. As part of the building fund Stoltzfus donated his share of an oats crop which he had raised in North Dakota. The congregation was organized in 1922 by the Eastern A.M. and Ohio Mennonite conferences. The two conferences had ordained Henry Müller, a mission convert, as deacon the year before. After Stoltzfus' health declined in 1924, the Board appointed Earl Miller and his wife Fern as workers, who left in 1926 to take charge of the Peoria, Illinois, mission. In 1926 Maurice O'Connell and his wife Geneva, converts of the Fort Wayne, Indiana, mission, were appointed superintendent and matron. O'Connell served as licensed preacher until 1928, when he was ordained to the ministry. S. E. Allgyer ordained him bishop in 1940. After his death in 1946 he was succeeded by Glenn Martin of North Dakota. After 1953 Darwin O'Connell, assistant pastor, served as pastor. The membership in 1954 was 73.
In the late 1960s the congregation relocated to 1318 North Main Street in Lima, and became known as the Northside Mennonite Church. In 1995 it merged with the First Mennonite Church of Lima (General Conference Mennonite) to form the Lima Mennonite Church. The new congregation met at Northside's location.
|Author(s)||John S. Umble|
|Date Published||February 2008|
Cite This Article
Umble, John S. and Sam Steiner. "Northside Mennonite Church (Lima, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2008. Web. 19 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Northside_Mennonite_Church_(Lima,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=66875.
Umble, John S. and Sam Steiner. (February 2008). Northside Mennonite Church (Lima, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Northside_Mennonite_Church_(Lima,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=66875.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.