From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:26, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Grassy Lake Old Colony Mennonite Church (Alt-Kolonie Mennonitengemeinde) is located 4 km. west of Grassy Lake in southern Alberta. Old Colony Mennonites from Mexico began immigrating to southern Alberta in the mid-1980s, settling in areas around Vauxhall and Grassy Lake. A church building was purchased in Tabor and moved to Grassy Lake. It was renovated according to Old Colony customs. The worship house was first used in 1999.

In 2010 the church was led by Aeltester Jacob Giesbrecht and services were held in both Low German and High German. The church had approximately 600 members.

Bibliography

Gutsche, Horst W. "Verzeichnis deutschsprachiger Gemeinden und Seelsorger in Kanada." March 2010. Web. 23 February 2012. http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/cms-filesystem-action/pdfs/german-cdn/101217-1.pdf.

Wiebe, Herman. "Vauxhall Old Colony Mennonite Church" in Old Colony Mennonites in Canada 1875 to 2000, edited by Delbert F. Plett. Steinbach, MB: Crossway Publications, Inc., 2001: 162.


Author(s) Richard D Thiessen
Date Published February 2012


Cite This Article

MLA style

Thiessen, Richard D. "Old Colony Mennonite Church (Grassy Lake, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 31 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Colony_Mennonite_Church_(Grassy_Lake,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=83735.

APA style

Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2012). Old Colony Mennonite Church (Grassy Lake, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Old_Colony_Mennonite_Church_(Grassy_Lake,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=83735.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.