Oldenburg (Lower Saxony, Germany)
Oldenburg, formerly a state of Germany (until 1918 a grand duchy), area 2,479 sq. miles, population over 500,000, once consisted of the gravure of Oldenburg and the city of Jever. Anabaptism found its way into this region at an early date from the adjacent province of East Friesland. Direct information about Anabaptism here is missing until the middle of the 16th century, but government regulations and statements of Protestant preachers clearly show their presence. In the city of Jever a debate with six Anabaptists was held on 13 and 14 February 1576; they were Hermann Brunsfeld, a scholar, Johannes Gerdes of Hohenkirchen, Nikolaus Hermanni of Altenburg, Henricus Henrici of Wüppels, Jankenius of Sillenstede, and Sara, a pregnant woman (see Schauenburg, 36-43, where the interesting discussion is printed). These Anabaptists were expelled from the country; their case was lost.
In the old gravure of Oldenburg the Anabaptists were apparently mostly of the Münsterite type, such as Bernhard Krechting, a brother of Heinrich Krechting, the chancellor of Jan van Leyden. Also David Joris stayed here a short time in 1538. They were expelled. The quiet Anabaptists, who had a large following in the city and the country, finally disappeared.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 298.
Schauenburg, L. Die Täuferbewegung in der Grafschaft Oldenhurg-Delmenhorst und der Herrschaft Jever zur Zeit der Reformation. Oldenburg, 1888.
Cite This Article
Neff, Christian. "Oldenburg (Lower Saxony, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oldenburg_(Lower_Saxony,_Germany)&oldid=105825.
Neff, Christian. (1959). Oldenburg (Lower Saxony, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oldenburg_(Lower_Saxony,_Germany)&oldid=105825.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 53. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.