Orlovo (German, Bahndorf), a Mennonite village in the Ukraine, Russia, in the Memrik settlement, post office Zhelannaya, Michailov village council (formerly volost Golitsinovka, Bachmut district, province of Ekaterinoslav). In 1885 the village was founded by Mennonites from the Molotschna, province Taurida (see Bachmut). The inhabitants were farmers, and formed an artel named Astra with the villages Nikolayevka (Ebental), Marinovka (Nordheim), and Neu-Kalinovo. Orlovo had 2,268 acres of land. Besides agriculture the village also raised cattle. It had a school with thirty-two pupils and a pedagogically trained teacher. Most of the people belonged to the Mennonite Church, the rest to the Mennonite Brethren. The language spoken was Low German. In the school German and Ukrainian were taught (formerly German and Russian). The soil was black, and well suited to farming.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: vol. III, 310.
Cite This Article
Cornies, Johann. "Orlovo (Memrik Settlement, South Russia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Orlovo_(Memrik_Settlement,_South_Russia)&oldid=59913.
Cornies, Johann. (1959). Orlovo (Memrik Settlement, South Russia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Orlovo_(Memrik_Settlement,_South_Russia)&oldid=59913.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.