Osterwick, a common Mennonite village name. One of the first of the villages settled by the Mennonites of West Prussia in Russia was Osterwick in the Chortitza settlement. It became the seat of one of the largest congregations, with a membership (1905) of 1,571 besides 839 children. In 1812 a village in the same settlement was named Neu-Osterwick. From Russia the name came to the East Reserve and West Reserve of Manitoba, to Hague, SK, and from Canada to Cuauhtemoc, Mexico. In Paraguay, Canadian Mennonites from Manitoba and Saskatchewan founded the village of Osterwick in the west of the Menno Colony. In 1932 the first church in the colony was built here, with a seating capacity of 500. In Osterwick there were in 1934 twenty-seven families with a total of 163 persons.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 327.
Cite This Article
Hege, Christian. "Osterwick." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 4 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Osterwick&oldid=76741.
Hege, Christian. (1959). Osterwick. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Osterwick&oldid=76741.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.