The congregation was founded in 1953 as the campus church of Eastern Mennonite College, now Eastern Mennonite University, and met in Lehman Auditorium. PVMC later became independent of the college and in 1968 built its own facility 0.5 miles (one km.) north of the of the campus in the neighborhood of north Park View. In 1995 a new sanctuary, new classrooms, and a major renovation were completed. In 2010 PVMC had a membership of 423 with an average attendance of 294.
In 2010, three full-time pastors served the congregation: Ross Erb, associate pastor for children, youth and families; Barbara Moyer Lehman, associate pastor of nurture and pastoral care; and Phil Kniss, lead pastor. The congregation had an active program of fellowship activities, Sunday School, men's and women's Bible studies, children and youth activities, and monthly Taizé style evening meditative worship services for the larger community. Many of PVMC's members participated in mission and service agencies.
The congregation gathers each Sunday morning in worship to praise God's greatness, to seek God's life-giving presence, and to experience Christian fellowship. Singing has been an important part of PVMC worship, and includes many styles of music, including congregational singing, and vocal and instrumental ensembles. Services have also included scripture readings, prayers, children's stories, silence, and a sermon that applied Biblical truths to daily life.
In 2010 Sunday morning services were broadcast live each week on WEMC 91.7 FM, and are also streamed live online at www.wemcradio.org, beginning at 9:30 a.m.
Park View Mennonite Church is a member of the Virginia Mennonite Conference and Mennonite Church USA. It remains committed to its strong ties to Mennonite education, to international missions, and to providing a Christian witness to the Harrisonburg community.
Lehman, Harold D. Through These Doors, A Journey of Faithfulness: Park View Mennonite Church 1953 - 2003. Harrisonburg, Va.: The Church, 2003
"Welcome to Park View Mennonite Church." (Welcome Table brochure, 2009)
 Additional Information
Address: 1600 College Avenue in Harrisonburg, Virginia 22802
Website: Park View Mennonite Church
Park View Mennonite Church Lead Pastors
|Ira E. Miller||1953-1967|
|A. Don Augsburger||1974-1980|
Park View Mennonite Church Membership
Article from Mennonite Encyclopedia, v. 4, p. 120Park View Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located near Harrisonburg, Rockingham County, Virginia, a member of the Virginia Mennonite Conference, was organized in January 1954 with 57 charter members, after many years of group worship on the college campus. Mennonites in this vicinity had held membership in both the Northern and Middle districts of the Virginia Conference. The congregation operates with a church council which has representation from its membership, Eastern Mennonite College administration, as well as the College and congregational pastors. Sunday worship services are held jointly with the students who are living on the campus. The mid week worship service is designed as a distinctly congregational feature. The membership in 1957 was 82; the ministers were John L. Stauffer, bishop, Ira E. Miller, and Paul H. Martin. -- Ira E. Miller
|Author(s)||John L Horst|
|Date Published||July 2010|
 Cite This Article
Horst, John L. "Park View Mennonite Church (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2010. Web. 8 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Park_View_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisonburg,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=93245.
Horst, John L. (July 2010). Park View Mennonite Church (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 8 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Park_View_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisonburg,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=93245.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.