Peace River Old Colony Mennonite Settlement (Alberta, Canada)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Peace River, Alberta, Old Colony Mennonite settlement, located in a very fertile farming area, was started in 1932 near Carajou by several families from the Saskatoon, Saskatoon, area who moved in 1934 near Fort Vermilion, a small trading post on the banks of the Peace River, some 350 miles north of Edmonton. It expanded rapidly after 1937 and by 1948 had a population of nearly 400, of whom about one third were dissatisfied settlers from the Old Colony settlement in Mexico. The settlers live on scattered farms, not in villages nor in a compact block. The settlers are grouped in three districts - Rosenfeld, Blumenort, and Rhineland, each with a meetinghouse and preacher. The colony has continued to grow in size and in economic prosperity.

The Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, maintains a mission station about 60 miles (100 km) east of Fort Vermilion.

Bibliography

Hostetler, John A. "Pioneering in the Land of the Midnight Sun." Mennonite Life III (April 1948): 5-8.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Peace River Old Colony Mennonite Settlement (Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peace_River_Old_Colony_Mennonite_Settlement_(Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=76921.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). Peace River Old Colony Mennonite Settlement (Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peace_River_Old_Colony_Mennonite_Settlement_(Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=76921.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 130-131. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.