Peters, Abraham (19th century)
Abraham Peters of Ladekopp in the Molotschna Mennonite settlement in South Russia, a member of the Petershagen congregation, joined the Mennonite Brethren Church at the founding of that branch, and was chosen deacon. In 1863 he migrated with other Mennonite Brethren to the Kuban. Here he took an active part in the life of the congregation, serving as Alt-Diakon in the church council in directing the spiritual affairs of the congregation. In 1877-78 the congregation built a new large church and secondary school (Fortbildungsschule) in one building. The school was founded by a board headed by Abraham Peters, who was vigorously interested in the work, and was maintained for several years, until it was united with the settlement school at Wohldemfürst (Velikoknyazhesk) in 1881.
Friesen, Peter M. Die Alt-Evangelische Mennonitische Brüderschaft in Russland (1789-1910) im Rahmen der mennonitischen Gesamtgeschichte. Halbstadt: Verlagsgesellschaft "Raduga", 1911: 422.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: III, 353.
Cite This Article
Braun, Abraham. "Peters, Abraham (19th century)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 Feb 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peters,_Abraham_(19th_century)&oldid=146420.
Braun, Abraham. (1959). Peters, Abraham (19th century). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 February 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peters,_Abraham_(19th_century)&oldid=146420.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 152. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.