From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Pikangikum Mennonite congregation began services and formally organized in 1953. The first building was occupied in 1957. Irwin and Susan Shantz are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated through outreach by Northern Light Gospel Mission.

In 1965 there were 63 members; in 1975, 39; in 1985, 13; in 1995, 10. The congregation has been affiliated with the Christian Anishinabec Fellowship since 1953. The conference was earlier known as the Northern Light Gospel Mission and the Native Mennonite Conference. The languages of worship are Ojibway and English.

Minister Sam Quill served in 1997 as a congregational leader. After his death in 2001 the congregation ceased to exist, though the building was still used in 2002 as a youth drop-in center.

[edit] Bibliography

Horst, Mary. A Brief History of Northern Light Gospel Mission. Northern Light Gospel Mission, 1977, 15 pp.

Correspondence from LeMar Weaver, 1 October 2002.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published April 1986


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Pikangikum Mennonite Church (Pikangikum, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Web. 2 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pikangikum_Mennonite_Church_(Pikangikum,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=112144.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (April 1986). Pikangikum Mennonite Church (Pikangikum, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pikangikum_Mennonite_Church_(Pikangikum,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=112144.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.