From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Pleasant Hill Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church, now extinct, located in Fairfield County, Ohio, a member of the Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference, was founded in the early 1800s by settlers from Rockingham County, Virginia. The first settler, Martin Landis, Sr., built a log meetinghouse at an early date. Henry Stemen, who came in 1803, was ordained minister and later bishop and served the congrega­tion until 1841, when he moved to Allen County, Ohio. In the early years the congregation built a meetinghouse on the farm of Henry Brenneman, father of John M. and George (bishops), Daniel (preacher), and Henry (deacon) Brenneman. Near­ly the entire membership moved away from the "Fairfield County hills" to land better suited for farming. The church building was moved across the road just north of the Pleasant Hill cemetery. Later it was sold and the proceeds used to fence the now badly neglected cemetery.

[edit] Bibliography

Umble, John. "Extinct Ohio Mennonite Churches." Mennonite Quarterly Review VI (1932): 5-29.


Author(s) John S Umble
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Umble, John S. "Pleasant Hill Mennonite Church (Fairfield County, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 31 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pleasant_Hill_Mennonite_Church_(Fairfield_County,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=119421.

APA style

Umble, John S. (1959). Pleasant Hill Mennonite Church (Fairfield County, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pleasant_Hill_Mennonite_Church_(Fairfield_County,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=119421.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 190. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.