From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Plum Coulee, a village (population was 500 in 1959, 800 in 2006) located 9 miles west of Rosenfeld, [[Manitoba (Canada)|Manitoba]], on a creek named Plum Coulee, because delicious wild plums grew on both sides of the creek. It began in 1888 when the Cana­dian Pacific Railroad completed the Pembina branch. It was incorporated as a village municipality in 1901 and officially opened as such 1 January 1902, with A. A. Harder as its first mayor. In 1897 Plum Coulee had seven grain elevators; a large surrounding area shipped all its grain to this spot. The town had four churches in 1958: [[Plum Coulee Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada)|Sommerfelder]], built in 1917, the [[Plum Coulee Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada)|Bergthaler]], the largest in membership, built in 1926, the [[Plum Coulee Rudnerweider Mennonite Church (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada)|Rudnerweide church]] and the Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church, built in the 1950s. John J. Hooge served the Bergthaler congregation for many years. The village is noted for its tree-lined streets where formerly there was only open, bald prairie.
 
Plum Coulee, a village (population was 500 in 1959, 800 in 2006) located 9 miles west of Rosenfeld, [[Manitoba (Canada)|Manitoba]], on a creek named Plum Coulee, because delicious wild plums grew on both sides of the creek. It began in 1888 when the Cana­dian Pacific Railroad completed the Pembina branch. It was incorporated as a village municipality in 1901 and officially opened as such 1 January 1902, with A. A. Harder as its first mayor. In 1897 Plum Coulee had seven grain elevators; a large surrounding area shipped all its grain to this spot. The town had four churches in 1958: [[Plum Coulee Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada)|Sommerfelder]], built in 1917, the [[Plum Coulee Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada)|Bergthaler]], the largest in membership, built in 1926, the [[Plum Coulee Rudnerweider Mennonite Church (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada)|Rudnerweide church]] and the Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church, built in the 1950s. John J. Hooge served the Bergthaler congregation for many years. The village is noted for its tree-lined streets where formerly there was only open, bald prairie.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 197|date=1959|a1_last=Hamm|a1_first=H. H|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 197|date=1959|a1_last=Hamm|a1_first=H. H|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Latest revision as of 19:27, 20 August 2013

Plum Coulee, a village (population was 500 in 1959, 800 in 2006) located 9 miles west of Rosenfeld, Manitoba, on a creek named Plum Coulee, because delicious wild plums grew on both sides of the creek. It began in 1888 when the Cana­dian Pacific Railroad completed the Pembina branch. It was incorporated as a village municipality in 1901 and officially opened as such 1 January 1902, with A. A. Harder as its first mayor. In 1897 Plum Coulee had seven grain elevators; a large surrounding area shipped all its grain to this spot. The town had four churches in 1958: Sommerfelder, built in 1917, the Bergthaler, the largest in membership, built in 1926, the Rudnerweide church and the Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church, built in the 1950s. John J. Hooge served the Bergthaler congregation for many years. The village is noted for its tree-lined streets where formerly there was only open, bald prairie.


Author(s) H. H Hamm
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Hamm, H. H. "Plum Coulee (Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 2 Sep 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Plum_Coulee_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=84081.

APA style

Hamm, H. H. (1959). Plum Coulee (Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 September 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Plum_Coulee_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=84081.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 197. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.