From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:45, 16 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Pretty Prairie Amish Mennonite Church, now ex­tinct, located about 10 miles north northeast of Lagrange, Indiana, the meetinghouse of which, built in 1872, was still standing on the farm of Simon Bontrager in the late 1950s. Early settlers were Christian K. Mast (born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in 1822) 1864, Christian J. Plank of Adams County, Indiana, 1859, Christian Nafziger (served as a preacher), Chris­tian Stuckey, Christian Plank, Joseph Borntrager, and Jacob Hooley. Other ministers who served at Pretty Prairie were Christian Warye, who moved to Johnson County, Iowa, in 1884, Jonas C. Yoder, who moved to Logan County, Ohio, and Jonathan B. Hartzler (1850-1950), ordained preacher 18 May 1879, but who did his lifework in the Crown Hill (Mennonite Church) congregation in Ohio. At the commun­ion service in 1869 bishops J. D. Troyer of Marshall County, Indiana, and Isaac Smucker of Lagrange County (Hawpatch congregation at Topeka) were in charge. Daniel Brenneman visited the congrega­tion as early as 1866. The congregation had died out by 1915.  The membership never exceeded 40.



Author(s) John C Wenger
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Wenger, John C. "Pretty Prairie Amish Mennonite Church (Lagrange County, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 2 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pretty_Prairie_Amish_Mennonite_Church_(Lagrange_County,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=67351.

APA style

Wenger, John C. (1959). Pretty Prairie Amish Mennonite Church (Lagrange County, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pretty_Prairie_Amish_Mennonite_Church_(Lagrange_County,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=67351.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 216. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.