Preußisch Rosengart (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)
Preussisch Rosengart was founded in 1355 by Konrad Braunschweig, the Dzierzgoń commander. Dutch colonists settled in the village in the 2nd half of the 16th century. Until 1772 the village was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Preussisch Rosengart was located. The village was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the end of World War I, when it came under the jurisdiction of the German province of East Prussia. At the outbreak of World War II in 1939, it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. In 2012 Rozgart was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Gronowo Elbląskie, within Elbląg County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship
The sources from 1776 mention the following surnames: Dau, Dick, Friesen, Froes, Goertz, Goertzen, Kaettler, Claassen, Kleewer, Cornelsen, Martens, Meckelburger, Nickel, Niessen, Puls, Penner, Peters, Philipsen, and Wieb. At that time there were 23 Mennonite families in the village. In 1789, the village had 126 Mennonites. In 1820, there were 221 residents, including 83 Mennonites. In 1888 there were 23 Mennonite families here.
In 1888, when the Nogat River dam broke, the church at Markushof was severely damaged. Without awaiting an appeal for help to come from West Prussia, Pastor van der Smissen of Hamburg issued an appeal for aid to the victims of the flood. A committee composed of pastors van der Smissen of Hamburg, Mannhardt of Danzig, and Harder of Elbing, requested permission of the Dutch Mennonites to set aside 18,000 Marks of the Dutch relief fund for the erection of a church for the congregations of Thiensdorf and Markushof, which had been divided into two congregations for about a century. Thus they were reunited. The church was built (1891) in Preussisch Rosengart, rather than in Markushof, which was too close to Thiensdorf. This church was one of the few Mennonite churches to have a bell. With the assistance of a Wiehler family, Eva von Tiele-Winckler built two homes for the homeless here in 1916-1918.
In 1936 there were 17 Mennonite families in Preussisch Rosengart, with a total of 54 individuals. Fifty-five Mennonites, members of the Thiensdorf-Preussisch Rosengart congregation, were living here in 1945.
"Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Hans-Jürgen Wolf. Web. 2 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 397.
Mennonitisches Adressbuch. Karlsruhe, 1936.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Rozgart (Rozgard)." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 6 October 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=427&lang=en.
Tiele-Winckler, Eva von. Nichts unmöglich! Dresden, 1929: 206-13, 311.
Wikipedia. "Rozgart." Web. 2 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rozgart.
|Author(s)||Gustav, Ernst Crous Reimer|
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||February 2013|
Cite This Article
Reimer, Gustav, Ernst Crous and Richard D. Thiessen. "Preußisch Rosengart (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 21 Jul 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Preu%C3%9Fisch_Rosengart_(Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=84192.
Reimer, Gustav, Ernst Crous and Richard D. Thiessen. (February 2013). Preußisch Rosengart (Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 July 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Preu%C3%9Fisch_Rosengart_(Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=84192.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.