Publication Society of the United Missionary Church
The work of publication was begun when the church, since 1947 called the United Missionary Church (now Missionary Church), was known as the Evangelical Mennonite Church. The first publication was the Gospel Banner, an 8-page semimonthly, which was begun in July 1876. In the early years this periodical was published in Goshen, Indiana, and was printed part in English and part in German. It still continues as the church organ, has 16 pages, and is published weekly. For twenty years, 1900-20, the publication work of the church was carried on in Kitchener, Ontario. Besides the church organ, the Publication Society published the disciplines, songbooks, and some other church literature.
In 1910 the Bethel Series of Sunday School Literature using the International Uniform Series was launched for the church by an independent publishing company, the Bethel Publishing Company, headed by J. A. Huffman, an ordained minister in the church. Headquarters of this publishing house were first at New Castle, Ohio, and then Dayton, Ohio. In 1920 the publication work of the church under the Publication Society was merged with that of the Bethel Publishing Company and was located in Elkhart, Indiana, in 1928. Since the change made in 1920, the recognized publishing house of the church has continued to be known as the Bethel Publishing Company, under the management of the Publication Board of the church and with an Agent employed by that board.
|Author(s)||J. A Huffman|
Cite This Article
Huffman, J. A. "Publication Society of the United Missionary Church." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Apr 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Publication_Society_of_the_United_Missionary_Church&oldid=84227.
Huffman, J. A. (1959). Publication Society of the United Missionary Church. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 April 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Publication_Society_of_the_United_Missionary_Church&oldid=84227.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 228. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.