Quadendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Quadendorf (now known as Przejazdowo; coordinates: 54.326111, 18.746111 [54° 19′ 34″ N, 18° 44′ 46″ E]; population in 1905, 142; in 2012, 630) is located approximately 10 kilometres (6 miles) north-east of Pruszcz Gdański (Praust) and 9 km. (6 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
Quadendorf was established in 1399. In 1446, it was transferred to the Cartusian Order. Dutch colonists first appeared in 1577, and helped to develop the area by draining the marshlands. Until 1772 Quadendorf was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Quadendorf was located. Quadendorf was situated in the district (Kreis) of Danzig from 1818 until 1887, when it became part of the district of Danziger Niederung. The village became part of the Free City of Danzig from 1920 until the outbreak of World War II in 1939, when it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. In 2012 it was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Pruszcz Gdański, within Gdańsk County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census lists four Mennonite families in Quadendorf with the following surnames: Dick, Epp, Peters, and Zander. In 1820, the village had 115 residents, including 21 Mennonites. In 1845, Mennonites erected a House of Prayer. In 1869, Quadendorf had 904.39 morgas (30 hectares) of land, 18 houses, and 160 residents, including 9 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Quadendorf were members of the Danzig Mennonite Church in 1820. In 1845 the Neunhuben Mennonite congregation built a church here as a subsidiary of the Fürstenwerder congregation, which remained in use until 1945.
"Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Hans-Jürgen Wolf. Web. 29 September 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 415.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Przejazdowo." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 25 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=422&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Przejazdowo." Web. 30 September 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przejazdowo.
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||December 2012|
Cite This Article
Penner, Horst and Richard D. Thiessen. "Quadendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 24 Jun 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Quadendorf_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=146077.
Penner, Horst and Richard D. Thiessen. (December 2012). Quadendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 June 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Quadendorf_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=146077.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 237. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.