From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:29, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Red Well Mennonite Mission (Mennonite Church), now extinct, located on the western fringe of Welsh Mountain, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, was opened in 1896 with John R. Buckwalter and John H. Hershey as superintendents. When they moved to Missouri, John Musselman and Amos H. Hershey became the next superintendents. In 1899 a large frame meetinghouse was built for the growing congregation. The first Sunday-school Meeting held in Lancaster County met here on 22 November 1904. This was the first evangelistic field for John W. Weaver in 1909. The highest membership was 65. By 1929 the members had moved away, and the work was consolidated with the Welsh Mountain Samaritan Home, the building itself being razed to enlarge the Home. Recently a cottage meeting has been conducted in the neighborhood.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Red Well Mennonite Mission (Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Red_Well_Mennonite_Mission_(Lancaster_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=84357.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1959). Red Well Mennonite Mission (Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Red_Well_Mennonite_Mission_(Lancaster_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=84357.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 263. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.