Renkau was founded as a manor settlement in 1772, the same year as the First Partition of Poland. The new province of West Prussia was created 1773, and Renkau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Renkau (now Rękowo) was a settlement in the administrative district of Gmina Miłoradz, within Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In 1820, the village had 40 residents, including 19 Mennonites. Mennonites in Renkau were members of the Heubuden Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Rękowo." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 9 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=59.
Wikipedia. "Rękowo." Web. 9 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rękowo.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 9 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||October 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Renkau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 22 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Renkau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96212.
Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Renkau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Renkau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96212.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.