Ribeauvillé, a town (population in the late 1950s, 3,866; 4,929 in 1999; coordinates: 48° 11′ 46″ N
, 7° 19′ 9″ E
) 9 miles north of Colmar
in Alsace, the seat of an early Anabaptist
congregation and also of an 18th-century Mennonite congregation, long since extinct. Two Anabaptists arrested in Basel
in 1534 stated under torture that Anabaptist meetings were being held at Ribeauvillé and also near Colmar, and that a service attended by 300 persons had met in a forest between Colmar and Ingersheim. In all this region, they said, their doctrine was making progress; Hunawihr, near Ribeauvillé, was almost completely won over, and the brethren were numerous at Riquewihr and Kaysersberg. There continued to be Anabaptists in the region of Colmar until in the 17th century. Immigration from Switzerland
after the Thirty Years' War
established a considerable Mennonite settlement northeast of Colmar, with meeting places in various villages in this area, which also changed as the places of settlement of the members changed. Whether one of these places of meeting was Ribeauvillé in this and the later period down into the 19th century is not definitely known.
Sommer, Pierre. "Historique des Assemblées, 41. Vieilles Assemblées de la Haute Alsace." Christ Seul (July 1932): 7-9.
|| Harold S Bender
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Ribeauvillé (Alsace, France)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 Sep 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ribeauvill%C3%A9_(Alsace,_France)&oldid=96232.
Bender, Harold S. (1959). Ribeauvillé (Alsace, France). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 September 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ribeauvill%C3%A9_(Alsace,_France)&oldid=96232.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 4, p. 323. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.