Rijp, van de, family
Van de Rijp, a Dutch Mennonite family, in the 17th and 18th centuries found at Amsterdam and Haarlem. In Amsterdam they were members of the Waterlander (Toren) congregation and after the merger of this congregation with the Lamist church (1668), of the United Lam and Toren congregation. At Haarlem Johannes van de Rijp was a trustee of the Mennonite orphanage on the Klein Heiligland from 1673, as was his wife Judith ten Cate from 1699. In Amsterdam Arend van de Rijp (died 1729) was for many years a trustee of the Collegiant Oranjeappel orphanage.
Gerard van de Rijp (died March 1735) bequeathed his property to his nephews Jan and Job van de Rijp-Centen (the sons of his sister Maria van de Rijp and Gozewijn Centen) on condition that they contribute 20,000 guilders of this property to the founding of an old ladies’ home (Rijpenhofje). In 1736 his heirs bought some small houses on the Rozengracht, which were remodeled for this purpose and were called the Rijpenhofje. On 14 December 1747, Jan and Job van de Rijp Centen transferred the title to this home to the deacons of the Lam and Toren Mennonite congregation, who still govern the Rijpenhofje. The home was completely rebuilt in 1913.
Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam, 2 vols. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: v. II, Nos. 521-32, 3188, 3190.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Rijp, van de, family." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rijp,_van_de,_family&oldid=123238.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Rijp, van de, family. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rijp,_van_de,_family&oldid=123238.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 334. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.