From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Ring, a Dutch word meaning a regional association of ten or twelve neighboring Mennonite congregations for the purpose of assisting one another, especially in the case of pulpit vacancy. The objective of the general organization was to avoid the extinction of congregations, which was a common occurrence in the 18th century. The first Ring, namely, Ring Akkrum, was founded in 1837 upon the initiative of Steven Blaupot ten Cate, who was the minister in Akkrum 1830-39. Soon two more Rings were founded for Friesland, namely, Ring Bolsward in 1840 and Ring Dantumawoude in 1850. In 1844 Ring North Holland followed their example; in 1862. Ring South Holland and Zeeland was established. Other similar regional associations were Ring Zwolle, founded ca. 1860, for the northwest, and Ring Twente for the southeast of the province of Overijssel. The province of Groningen has no Ring; the functions of the Ring in this province are performed by the Groningen Conference (Sociëteit van Doopsgezinde Gemeenten in Groningen). After World War II Ring Utrecht and 't Gooi and Ring Arnhem were reorganized. There are at present ten Rings in the Netherlands.

[edit] Bibliography

Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1956): 135 f.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 514.

Verslag (Report) wegens de staat der Algemene Doopsgezinde Sociëteit over de periode 1946-1947. Kollum, 1947: 57 f.


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Ring." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ring&oldid=109336.

APA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Ring. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ring&oldid=109336.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 336, 1148. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.