Revision as of 19:47, 16 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Ring, a Dutch word meaning a regional association of ten or twelve neighboring Mennonite congregations for the purpose of assisting one another, especially in the case of pulpit vacancy. The objective of the general organization was to avoid the extinction of congregations, which was a common occurrence in the 18th century. The first Ring, namely, Ring Akkrum, was founded in 1837 upon the initiative of Steven Blaupot ten Cate, who was the minister in Akkrum 1830-39. Soon two more Rings were founded for Friesland, namely, Ring Bolswardin 1840 andRing Dantumawoudein 1850. In 1844 Ring North Hollandfollowed their example; in 1862. Ring South Holland and Zeeland was established. Other similar regional associations were Ring Zwolle, founded ca. 1860, for the northwest, and Ring Twentefor the southeast of the province of Overijssel. The province of Groningen has no Ring; the functions of the Ring in this province are performed by the Groningen Conference (Sociëteit van Doopsgezinde Gemeenten in Groningen). After World War II Ring Utrecht and 't Gooiand Ring Arnhemwere reorganized. There are at present ten Rings in the Netherlands.


Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1956): 135 f.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 514.

Verslag (Report) wegens de staat der Algemene Doopsgezinde Sociëteit over de periode 1946-1947. Kollum, 1947: 57 f.

Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959

Cite This Article

MLA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Ring." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 28 Nov 2015.

APA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Ring. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 November 2015, from

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 336, 1148. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.

©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.