The Riverdale Mennonite congregation at Millbank, Ontario, formerly known as Riverdale Amish Mennonite Church, began as a mission in a former Presbyterian church, purchased in 1946 by the Mission Board of the Ontario Amish Mennonite Conference. A number of Mennonite families from surrounding congregations, including Poole Mennonite Church and Maple View Mennonite, began to worship in the church. Menno Zehr and Valentine Nafziger were superintendents of the mission. Preaching services were supplied by neighboring congregations. In January 1948 Menno Zehr was ordained minister, and in June 1948 a congregation was organized with about 60 charter members, which bought the meetinghouse from the mission board.
The founding bishop, Valentine Nafziger, withdrew with 23 members in 1956 to form Bethel Conservative Mennonite Church.
A History of Riverdale Mennonite Church, 1946-1996. Millbank, ON: The Church, 1996, 67 pp.
Mennonite Reporter (29 July 1991): 11.
Records at Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Address: 4138 Perth Line 72, Millbank, Ontario (Box 195, Millbank ON N0K 1L0)
Mennonite Church (MC) (1959-1999)
Western Ontario Mennonite Conference (1947-1988)
Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-Present
Mennonite Church Canada (1995-Present)
Riverdale Mennonite Church Pastoral Leaders
| Darrell Jantzi
| Sue C. Steiner
| September 2006|
|Jim Brown||August 2007-Present|
Riverdale Mennonite Church Membership
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Orland, Valentine Nafziger and Marlene Epp. "Riverdale Mennonite Church (Millbank, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1986. Web. 6 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Riverdale_Mennonite_Church_(Millbank,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=114251.
Gingerich, Orland, Valentine Nafziger and Marlene Epp. (1986). Riverdale Mennonite Church (Millbank, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Riverdale_Mennonite_Church_(Millbank,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=114251.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.