Rohrbach (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany)
Rohrbach, a southern suburb of Heidelberg, Baden, Germany, where there were Anabaptists from the Reformation to the Thirty Years' War, and again since that war. About 1564 Georg Hailmann preached Anabaptist doctrine in the fields and elsewhere to numerous followers. About 1596 the Protestant pastor at Rohrbach wrote that the Anabaptists were increasing very rapidly, whereupon the Landschreiber at Heidelberg received orders to investigate the matter, and, if possible, to arrest the leader. In 1605 "only one poor woman" is named as being suspect of Anabaptism; the rest had "partly died off, partly been converted, and had partly gone to Moravia."
It is worthy of note that after the Thirty Years' War it was at Rohrbach that the Anabaptist-Mennonites again found a gathering point. Throughout the 18th century the government lists of Mennonites mention Mennonites at Rohrbach. Some of the family names were Fellmann, Bühler, Stauffer, and Lehman, which are still found among the Mennonites of Baden and the Palatinate. There are today no Mennonites in Rohrbach.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 528.
Krebs, Manfred. Quellen zur Geschichte der Täufer, IV. Band: Baden and Pfalz. Quellen und Forschungen zur Reformationsgeschichte XXII. Band. Gütersloh: C. Bertelsmann, 1951: No. 163, 1564: 216, 1596: 220, 1605.
Cite This Article
Hein, Gerhard. "Rohrbach (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 Jan 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rohrbach_(Heidelberg,_Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg,_Germany)&oldid=146132.
Hein, Gerhard. (1959). Rohrbach (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 January 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rohrbach_(Heidelberg,_Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg,_Germany)&oldid=146132.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 352. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.