From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130823)
(One intermediate revision by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Rohrerstown [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]](MC), located 3 miles northwest of [[Lancaster (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster, Pennsylvania]], a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Conference]], started at [[Abbeyville Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)|Abbeyville]] about 1750 with Bishop [[Hershey, Benjamin (1697-1789)|Benjamin Hershey]], three Hans Brubachers, Peter Swarr, and others on the land immediately west of Hickory Town, now Lancaster. In 1791 they moved on [[Brubaker's Mennonite Meetinghouse (Rohrerstown, Pennsylvania, USA)|Brubaker land]], north of Rohrerstown, where a beautiful cemetery still marks the spot. After 63 years a new meetinghouse was placed on the same site. In 1895 a brick church was built on the third site south of the square in Rohrerstown, 50 x 75 ft. This building was completely renovated in 1955-56. These churches have been the scene of the spring sessions of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference from time immemorial until 1953, when it was first held at [[East Petersburg Mennonite Church (East Petersburg, Pennsylvania, USA)|East Petersburg]]. This was the home of two bishops named Benjamin Hershey, Bishops Jacob and John Brubaker, Preacher John K. Brubaker, and John Shenk. It is a part of the Rohrerstown-Millersville circuit and in recent years most of the ministers were from the [[Millersville (Pennsylvania, USA)|Millersville]] area. The membership in 1957 was 173, with Christian K. Lehman as bishop, Jacob G. Hess, J. Herbert Fisher, and Paul H. Gochnauer as ministers.
+
Rohrerstown [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church ]](MC), located 3 miles northwest of [[Lancaster (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster, Pennsylvania]], a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Conference]], started at [[Abbeyville Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)|Abbeyville]] about 1750 with Bishop [[Hershey, Benjamin (1697-1789)|Benjamin Hershey]], three Hans Brubachers, Peter Swarr, and others on the land immediately west of Hickory Town, now Lancaster. In 1791 they moved on [[Brubaker's Mennonite Meetinghouse (Rohrerstown, Pennsylvania, USA)|Brubaker land]], north of Rohrerstown, where a beautiful cemetery still marks the spot. After 63 years a new meetinghouse was placed on the same site. In 1895 a brick church was built on the third site south of the square in Rohrerstown, 50 x 75 ft. This building was completely renovated in 1955-56. These churches have been the scene of the spring sessions of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference from time immemorial until 1953, when it was first held at [[East Petersburg Mennonite Church (East Petersburg, Pennsylvania, USA)|East Petersburg]]. This was the home of two bishops named Benjamin Hershey, Bishops Jacob and John Brubaker, Preacher John K. Brubaker, and John Shenk. It is a part of the Rohrerstown-Millersville circuit and in recent years most of the ministers were from the [[Millersville (Pennsylvania, USA)|Millersville]] area. The membership in 1957 was 173, with Christian K. Lehman as bishop, Jacob G. Hess, J. Herbert Fisher, and Paul H. Gochnauer as ministers.
 
+
 
+
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 353|date=1959|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 353|date=1959|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Revision as of 14:48, 23 August 2013

Rohrerstown Mennonite Church (MC), located 3 miles northwest of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, a member of the Lancaster Conference, started at Abbeyville about 1750 with Bishop Benjamin Hershey, three Hans Brubachers, Peter Swarr, and others on the land immediately west of Hickory Town, now Lancaster. In 1791 they moved on Brubaker land, north of Rohrerstown, where a beautiful cemetery still marks the spot. After 63 years a new meetinghouse was placed on the same site. In 1895 a brick church was built on the third site south of the square in Rohrerstown, 50 x 75 ft. This building was completely renovated in 1955-56. These churches have been the scene of the spring sessions of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference from time immemorial until 1953, when it was first held at East Petersburg. This was the home of two bishops named Benjamin Hershey, Bishops Jacob and John Brubaker, Preacher John K. Brubaker, and John Shenk. It is a part of the Rohrerstown-Millersville circuit and in recent years most of the ministers were from the Millersville area. The membership in 1957 was 173, with Christian K. Lehman as bishop, Jacob G. Hess, J. Herbert Fisher, and Paul H. Gochnauer as ministers.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Rohrerstown Mennonite Church (Rohrerstown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 10 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rohrerstown_Mennonite_Church_(Rohrerstown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=96281.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1959). Rohrerstown Mennonite Church (Rohrerstown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rohrerstown_Mennonite_Church_(Rohrerstown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=96281.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 353. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.