From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:31, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Rothrock Mennonite Church (GCM), now extinct, was one of the two meetinghouses of the congregation in Northampton County, Pennsylvania, one being Mount Bethel in Bangor, and the other Rothrock (also called Upper Mount Bethel) 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Bangor. The latter was built sometime before 1794 and before Mount Bethel. It was a small congregation, the first families having moved into the community about 1754, and was supplied by ministers from Bucks and Lehigh counties. The only resident minister was David Henning (1806-1881). He was most likely ordained by the Oberholtzer group which divided from the Franconia Mennonite Conference (MC) in 1847, but withdrew to follow William Gehman and the Evangelical Mennonites formed in 1858. It is presumed that the congregation followed him both times in changing conference connection.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Rothrock Mennonite Church (Northampton County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 16 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rothrock_Mennonite_Church_(Northampton_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=84741.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). Rothrock Mennonite Church (Northampton County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Rothrock_Mennonite_Church_(Northampton_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=84741.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1117. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.