From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m
Line 1: Line 1:
Royer Mennonite Church, a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Conference]]. Jacob Royer (1771-1850) and his wife, Catherine Hammer, lived on a farm near Richland, [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]]. He was a son of Daniel Royer and a great-grandson of the pioneer Sebastian Royer. Jacob Royer donated the ground on which the Tulpehocken Church of the Brethren was built in 1840. This was erected by the "Old Brothers Society of the Conestoga Family," an outpost of the Bareville Church of the Brethren in [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], the first meetinghouse of that denomination in [[Lebanon County Old Order Amish Settlement (Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, USA)|Lebanon County]]. It was a stone building, 35 x 40 ft., in which a school for the community was held. An annex of 25 ft. was added. This Jackson Township school and church had two sets of trustees. The adjoining cemetery was "for anyone who had clean and honest deaths, and the house should be open for any preacher for these funerals." This church was used by the Brethren for a century. Then it was leased for some years to the [[Amish|Old Order Mennonites]]. In January 1947 the building was leased by the [[Millbach Mennonite Mission (Kleinfeltersville, Pennsylvania, USA)|Millbach Mennonite group]], and soon it was used exclusively by these workers. Noah N. Burkholder became their minister, and Earl B. Horst was ordained as assistant minister in 1953. The membership, through colonization, was 95 in 1957. Amos Horst and Mahlon Zimmerman are the bishops. The Royer congregation has an outpost at Texter, opened on 10 May 1953, with Willard Eberly, Peter M. Risser, and Levi Burkholder as superintendents; Texter had 34 members in 1957. The ministers are those of the Royer Mennonite Church. A new meetinghouse was built in 1957-58.
+
Royer Mennonite Church, a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Conference]]. Jacob Royer (1771-1850) and his wife, Catherine Hammer, lived on a farm near Richland, [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]]. He was a son of Daniel Royer and a great-grandson of the pioneer Sebastian Royer. Jacob Royer donated the ground on which the Tulpehocken Church of the Brethren was built in 1840. This was erected by the "Old Brothers Society of the Conestoga Family," an outpost of the Bareville Church of the Brethren in [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], the first meetinghouse of that denomination in [[Lebanon County Old Order Amish Settlement (Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, USA)|Lebanon County]]. It was a stone building, 35 x 40 ft., in which a school for the community was held. An annex of 25 ft. was added. This Jackson Township school and church had two sets of trustees. The adjoining cemetery was "for anyone who had clean and honest deaths, and the house should be open for any preacher for these funerals." This church was used by the Brethren for a century. Then it was leased for some years to the [[Old Order Mennonites]]. In January 1947 the building was leased by the [[Millbach Mennonite Mission (Kleinfeltersville, Pennsylvania, USA)|Millbach Mennonite group]], and soon it was used exclusively by these workers. Noah N. Burkholder became their minister, and Earl B. Horst was ordained as assistant minister in 1953. The membership, through colonization, was 95 in 1957. Amos Horst and Mahlon Zimmerman are the bishops. The Royer congregation has an outpost at Texter, opened on 10 May 1953, with Willard Eberly, Peter M. Risser, and Levi Burkholder as superintendents; Texter had 34 members in 1957. The ministers are those of the Royer Mennonite Church. A new meetinghouse was built in 1957-58.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 374|date=1959|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 374|date=1959|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Revision as of 18:00, 19 October 2013

Royer Mennonite Church, a member of the Lancaster Conference. Jacob Royer (1771-1850) and his wife, Catherine Hammer, lived on a farm near Richland, Pennsylvania. He was a son of Daniel Royer and a great-grandson of the pioneer Sebastian Royer. Jacob Royer donated the ground on which the Tulpehocken Church of the Brethren was built in 1840. This was erected by the "Old Brothers Society of the Conestoga Family," an outpost of the Bareville Church of the Brethren in Lancaster County, the first meetinghouse of that denomination in Lebanon County. It was a stone building, 35 x 40 ft., in which a school for the community was held. An annex of 25 ft. was added. This Jackson Township school and church had two sets of trustees. The adjoining cemetery was "for anyone who had clean and honest deaths, and the house should be open for any preacher for these funerals." This church was used by the Brethren for a century. Then it was leased for some years to the Old Order Mennonites. In January 1947 the building was leased by the Millbach Mennonite group, and soon it was used exclusively by these workers. Noah N. Burkholder became their minister, and Earl B. Horst was ordained as assistant minister in 1953. The membership, through colonization, was 95 in 1957. Amos Horst and Mahlon Zimmerman are the bishops. The Royer congregation has an outpost at Texter, opened on 10 May 1953, with Willard Eberly, Peter M. Risser, and Levi Burkholder as superintendents; Texter had 34 members in 1957. The ministers are those of the Royer Mennonite Church. A new meetinghouse was built in 1957-58.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Myerstown Mennonite Church (Myerstown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 16 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Myerstown_Mennonite_Church_(Myerstown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=102827.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1959). Myerstown Mennonite Church (Myerstown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Myerstown_Mennonite_Church_(Myerstown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=102827.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 374. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.