Salem Academy, located two miles west of Salem, OR, an interdenominational evangelical school, had its beginning in small Bible classes held in the Dallas Mennonite churches in 1930-38 with N. N. Hiebert, H. H. Dick, and Herman D. Wiebe as instructors. In 1938 a district school building was secured and what was then known as Beacon Bible School was organized by a Bible School Society composed of interested members of the Grace Mennonite, Evangelical Mennonite, and Mennonite Brethren churches of Dallas.
In 1944 an evening Bible Institute of an interdenominational nature was begun in the Mennonite Brethren Church in West Salem. In 1945 the efforts of Dallas and Salem together with interests of others of the area were united and the Salem Academy came into being. Classes were begun in the West Salem Mennonite Brethren Church with an enrollment of 75, John W. Ediger as principal, and A. A. Loewen as the first chairman of the Board of Trustees.
In 1946 the present site was purchased and in 1947 the present large concrete block building was erected on an imposing twenty-four-acre hill site campus. Enrollment had risen to and maintained itself at 200-250 during the ensuing years. By the late 1950s a teaching staff of some 15 offered fully accredited instruction in grades 7-12, with competent Bible instruction included. Beside the administration building housing offices, 8 large classrooms, laboratory, shop, cafeteria, and chapel stood an unimposing music building and a fully standardized gymnasium-auditorium in the background.
|Author(s)||G. H Jantzen|
 Cite This Article
Jantzen, G. H. "Salem Academy (Salem, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 14 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Academy_(Salem,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=93436.
Jantzen, G. H. (1959). Salem Academy (Salem, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Academy_(Salem,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=93436.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.