From GAMEO
Revision as of 18:57, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Salem Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), now extinct, located about 5 miles southwest of the present town of Wellman, Washington County, Iowa, was probably organized in 1865. The Rupps, Desters, Schmitts, and possibly others from Lee County, Iowa, established the settlement. William Galle served for a time as elder and as the teacher in the parochial school. The largest number observing communion service was 31, in October 1876. About this time the members began moving to Kansas. The last business meeting of the church of which there is a record was held in November 1880.

Bibliography

Gingerich, Melvin. The Mennonites in Iowa. Iowa City, 1939: 86-92.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Salem Mennonite Church (Wellman, Washington County, Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Mennonite_Church_(Wellman,_Washington_County,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=77361.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Salem Mennonite Church (Wellman, Washington County, Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Mennonite_Church_(Wellman,_Washington_County,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=77361.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 405. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.