Though no longer found in Europe, the Swiss Mennonite family name Sauder has had strong representation in the Mennonite Church (MC) in the Franconia and Lancaster Conference districts in Eastern Pennsylvania. The name is also well represented both in Ontario and Fulton County, Ohio. In 1746 two Souder brothers settled in Montgomery County. Of their descendants the following have served in the ministry of the Franconia Conference: Mahlon D. Souder (1859-1924) and Edwin A. Souder (1882-1957), both serving at Rockhill, and Menno B. Souder (b. 1892) at Franconia. John D. Souder, a brother of Mahlon D., was prominent as a historian and artist in illuminated manuscripts. The town of Souderton, founded in 1860, was so named in 1876 because so many people in the community were members of the Souder family.
Some representatives of the Sauder family who have served the ministry in Lancaster County are John M. Sauder, who was a long-serving preacher and bishop at the Weaverland congregation; his son Eli G. Sauder, who started ministering at Groffdale in 1920; and Noah N. Sauder, minister to the New Holland congregation beginning in 1923. J. Paul Sauder (b. 1902) served at Tampa, FL, and also at two other congregations. Roy Sauder was a bishop at the Tedrow congregation near Archbold, Ohio. Levi S. Sauder worked for a long time as superintendent of the Millersville Children's Home in Pennsylvania. Elvin R. Souder of Souderton, PA was an attorney as well as an active church and conference worker for the General Conference Mennonite Church.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Sauder (Sauter, Souder) family." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 29 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sauder_(Sauter,_Souder)_family&oldid=60636.
Bender, Harold S. (1959). Sauder (Sauter, Souder) family. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sauder_(Sauter,_Souder)_family&oldid=60636.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.