Schönsee (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Schönsee (also known as Schoensee and Sumza; now known as Jeziernik; coordinates: 54.20968, 18.98636 [54° 12′ 34″ N, 18° 59′ 10″ E]; population in 1905, 518; in 2012, 306), is located approximately 3 kilometres (2 miles) south-east of Ostaszewo, 8.5 km (6 mi.) west of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 17 km (10.5 mi) north-east of Tczew (Dirschau), 20 km (12.5 mi.) north-west of Malbork (Marienburg), and 29 km (18 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
Schönsee was granted the Chełmno Rights (Kulm Law, a legal constitution for a municipal form of government) in 1334 by Luther von Braunschweig, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights. It was established on 60 włókas (1,077.3 hectares) of land. The Roman Catholic parish was also founded at that time. The Church of St. George was erected in the 14th century.
Until 1772 Schönsee was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Schönsee was located. Schönsee was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Schönsee (now Jeziernik) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Ostaszewo, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In 1727, the village had 29 Dutch families. The 1776 Prussian census lists 38 Mennonite families with the following surnames: Arend, Barckmann, Claassen, Conrad, Donner, Dridger, Ens, Epp, Esau, Froese, Hage, Hamm, Harder, Hubert, Jantzen, Kasper, Luttermann, Neckel, Penner, Peters, Regehr, Reimer, Stobe, Suckau, Toews, Wieb, and Woelcke. In 1820, the village with Fűnfhuben had 536 residents, including 158 Mennonites. In 1885, the village acreage equalled 1,128 ha; there were 78 houses, 589 Catholics and Lutherans and 120 Mennonites.
The Flemish Mennonites of Schönsee, who made up the majority of the Mennonites in Schönsee, were members of the Ladekopp Mennonite Church while the Frisian Mennonites were members of the Orlofferfelde Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Jeziernik." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 28 October 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=338&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Jeziernik, Nowy Dwór Gdański County." Web. 28 October 2012. Dwór Gdański County http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeziernik,_Nowy Dwór Gdański County
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 28 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=5936.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||October 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Schönsee (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 22 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sch%C3%B6nsee_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96359.
Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Schönsee (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sch%C3%B6nsee_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96359.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.