Scharpau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Scharpau, located between the Vistula and the Nogat rivers near the Baltic Coast, was an area settled by Dutch Mennonites from Danzig. By 1590 Mennonites had already located in this area. In 1618 Jacob Jantzen from Emden settled in Beyershorst. Other places settled here at this time were Altebabke, Jankendorf, Kalteherberge, and Tiegenort.
There was also a village within this area named Scharpau. Scharpau (now known as Szkarpawa; coordinates: 54.263889, 19.070278 [54° 15′ 50″ N, 19° 4′ 13″ E]; population in 1905, 85; in 2012, 70) lies approximately 7 kilometres (4 miles) north-west of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 23 km (14 mi.) north-west of Elbląg (Elbing), 26 km (16 mi.) north of Malbork (Marienburg), and 31 km (19 mi.) east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
Scharpau was founded in 1342. Until 1772 Scharpau was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Scharpau was located. Scharpau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. Today Scharpau is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Stegna, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In 1935 there were three Mennonite families living in Scharpau with the following surnames: Heidebrecht, Hübert, and Lickfett.
Mennonites in Scharpau were members of the Tiegenhagen Mennonite Church.
"Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Hans-Jürgen Wolf. Web. 29 September 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de.
Penner, Horst. Ansiedlung mennonitischer Niederländer im Weichselmündungsgebiet von der Mitte des 16. Jahrhunderts bis zum Beginn der preussischen Zeit. Weierhof, 1940: 37-43.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Szkarpawa." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 6 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=453&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Szkarpawa, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 30 September 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szkarpawa,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||December 2012|
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius and Richard D. Thiessen. "Scharpau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 25 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Scharpau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96342.
Krahn, Cornelius and Richard D. Thiessen. (December 2012). Scharpau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Scharpau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96342.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1120. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.