From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Scottdale, situated on the southern boundary between [[Westmoreland County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Westmoreland]] and [[Fayette County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Fayette]] counties, [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], was incorporated on 7 February 1874. It was laid out on the farms of Jacob S. and Peter S. Loucks, both grandsons of the Mennonite pioneer settler, Peter Loucks, who moved to this vicinity from [[Berks County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Berks County]], Pennsylvania, in 1800. The population is about 6,500, but with the surrounding community there are about 10,000 inhabitants. It is the home of the [[Mennonite Publishing House (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Mennonite Publishing House]] (since 1908) and of its predecessor, the [[Gospel Witness Company (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Gospel Witness Company]], founded in 1905. The [[Scottdale Mennonite Church (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Scottdale Mennonite Church]], built in 1893 and rebuilt in 1939, is located in the city. There is another church in Kingview, about a mile east in Fayette County, and a place of worship at North Scottdale in East Huntingdon Township, about a mile to the north. These churches are the successors of two earlier places of worship - at [[Pennsville and Stonerville Mennonite Church (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Pennsville]], Fayette County, and [[Pennsville and Stonerville Mennonite Church (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Stonerville]] (Alverton), Westmoreland County.
+
Scottdale, situated on the southern boundary between [[Westmoreland County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Westmoreland]] and [[Fayette County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Fayette]] counties, [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], was incorporated on 7 February 1874. It was laid out on the farms of Jacob S. and Peter S. Loucks, both grandsons of the Mennonite pioneer settler, Peter Loucks, who moved to this vicinity from [[Berks County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Berks County]], Pennsylvania, in 1800. The population is about 6,500, but with the surrounding community there are about 10,000 inhabitants. It is the home of the [[Mennonite Publishing House (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Mennonite Publishing House]] (since 1908) and of its predecessor, the [[Gospel Witness Company (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Gospel Witness Company]], founded in 1905. The [[Scottdale Mennonite Church (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Scottdale Mennonite Church]], built in 1893 and rebuilt in 1939, is located in the city. There is another church in Kingview, about a mile east in Fayette County, and a place of worship at North Scottdale in East Huntingdon Township, about a mile to the north. These churches are the successors of two earlier places of worship: at [[Pennsville and Stonerville Mennonite Church (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Pennsville]], Fayette County, and [[Pennsville and Stonerville Mennonite Church (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Stonerville]] (Alverton), Westmoreland County.
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">75 Years of Progress, Scottdale, Pennsylvania. 75th Anniversary Booklet. 1949. </em>
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">75 Years of Progress, Scottdale, Pennsylvania. 75th Anniversary Booklet. 1949. </em>

Latest revision as of 17:44, 27 January 2014

Scottdale, situated on the southern boundary between Westmoreland and Fayette counties, Pennsylvania, was incorporated on 7 February 1874. It was laid out on the farms of Jacob S. and Peter S. Loucks, both grandsons of the Mennonite pioneer settler, Peter Loucks, who moved to this vicinity from Berks County, Pennsylvania, in 1800. The population is about 6,500, but with the surrounding community there are about 10,000 inhabitants. It is the home of the Mennonite Publishing House (since 1908) and of its predecessor, the Gospel Witness Company, founded in 1905. The Scottdale Mennonite Church, built in 1893 and rebuilt in 1939, is located in the city. There is another church in Kingview, about a mile east in Fayette County, and a place of worship at North Scottdale in East Huntingdon Township, about a mile to the north. These churches are the successors of two earlier places of worship: at Pennsville, Fayette County, and Stonerville (Alverton), Westmoreland County.

[edit] Bibliography

75 Years of Progress, Scottdale, Pennsylvania. 75th Anniversary Booklet. 1949.

[edit] Maps

Map:Scottdale (Pennsylvania)


Author(s) John L Horst
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Horst, John L. "Scottdale (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Scottdale_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=112300.

APA style

Horst, John L. (1959). Scottdale (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Scottdale_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=112300.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 489-490. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.