Second Mennonite Church of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was established in 1894 when the First Mennonite Church of Philadelphia started a mission on Janney Street. In 1897 a private home at 3007 North Sixth Street was rented for worship services. On 4 April 1899, the present church was dedicated at the corner of Franklin Street and Indiana Avenue and on 5 May 1899, the congregation was officially organized with 36 members and with Silas M. Grubb as pastor. Until 1912 the congregation was supported by the First Mennonite Church. In 1915 the congregation had a membership of 190. The congregation was served by S. M. Grubb from 1899 until 1938, from 1938-41 by Erland Waltner, from 1942-43 by Edwin M. Crawford, from 1943-49 by Walter J. Dick. In 1958 Curtis Lehman was pastor; the membership was 85.
The congregation left the Eastern District Conference and became a charter member of the new Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Congregations (AMEC) in 2002. The division was over matters of faith and doctrine at the time the General Conference Mennonite Church was merging with the Mennonite Church to form Mennonite Church USA.
Fiftieth Anniversary of the First Mennonite Church of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, 1915.
50th Anniversary, Second Mennonite Church of Philadelphia, Pa. 1949.
Address: 2962 North Franklin Street, Philadelphia, PA 19133
Phone: 215-227-7642, 215-223-357
Denominational Affiliation: Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Churches
|Date Published||October 2010|
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Second Mennonite Church (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2010. Web. 1 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Second_Mennonite_Church_(Philadelphia,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=60889.
Krahn, Cornelius. (October 2010). Second Mennonite Church (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Second_Mennonite_Church_(Philadelphia,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=60889.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.