Settlement Mennonite Church now extinct, was organized by Mennonite families in Northampton County, Pennsylvania, in 1802, when a meetinghouse was built, evidently as the continuation of the older Siegfried congregation, the first meetinghouse of which was built on what is now Twenty-first Street, Northampton, Pennsylvania, in 1760 or earlier. The trustees in 1802 were Jacob Baer, Jacob Histand, John Ziegler, and Samuel Landis. As was usual in Pennsylvania prior to the adoption of the Public School Law of 1834 the land was given for both church and school purposes. The Mennonites built on this lot a frame building, 26 x 30 feet in size. But the effort to revive the congregation did not succeed. For the next hundred years there was a weary struggle for survival. Franconia Mennonite Conferencepreachers, General Conference Mennonites, and even independents, all made efforts to keep the congregation alive, but in vain. Finally in 1908 the property was sold and converted into a dwelling. The Cement National Bank of Siegfried, Northampton, Pennsylvania, is custodian of a trust fund for the care of the cemetery, which has about 60 marked graves.
Wenger, J. C. History of the Mennonites of the Franconia Conference. Telford, 1937: 229-31.
|Author(s)||John C Wenger|
Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "Settlement Mennonite Church (Northampton, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 2 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Settlement_Mennonite_Church_(Northampton,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=84872.
Wenger, John C. (1959). Settlement Mennonite Church (Northampton, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Settlement_Mennonite_Church_(Northampton,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=84872.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.