The Shantz Mennonite Church near Baden, Ontario began services in 1840. The first building, a stone structure, was occupied in 1853 and remodeled in 1900. It was replaced by a brick building in 1929, with another addition in 1988. The community was settled in the 1830s; the first settlers were George R. Schmitt and John Schmitt from the Alsace. The congregation originated primarily through emigration from Pennsylvania. At one time the congregation was known as the Upper Street Church. On 13 July 1956 a tornado ripped off the roof of the church. The language of worship is English; language transition from German occurred in the early 1900's.
Canadian Mennonite (13 July 1956): 1.
Fretz, J. C. "The Shantz Mennonite Church." 1953, 7 pp. Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Kehl, J. Lester. "History of the Shantz Mennonite Church."
Mennonite Reporter (9 May 1988): 17.
Schiedel, Mary Hunsberger. A Journey of Faith: the History of Shantz Mennonite Church, 1840-2000. Baden, Ont.: The Church, 2000. 96 pp.
Shantz, Christine. "History Changes." Personal e-mail (22 November 2011).
Archival RecordsArchival records at Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Address: R. R. 2, Box 299, Baden, ON N0B 1G0; located 3 km north of Baden, 13 km west of Waterloo at 2473 Erb's Road
Shantz Mennonite Church Leading Ministers
|Orphen H. Wismer||1898-1937|
|Jim Loepp Thiessen||1991-2003|
| Maurice Martin
| Nancy Brubaker
Shantz Mennonite Church Membership
|Author(s)||Joseph C. Fretz|
|Date Published||December 2013|
Cite This Article
Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. "Shantz Mennonite Church (Baden, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2013. Web. 28 Sep 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Shantz_Mennonite_Church_(Baden,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=114511.
Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. (December 2013). Shantz Mennonite Church (Baden, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 September 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Shantz_Mennonite_Church_(Baden,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=114511.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.