From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Sherkston [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]], also known as Bertie Mennonite Church, now extinct, located on Lot 35, Concession 1 of [[Bertie Township (Welland County, Ontario, Canada)|Bertie Township, Welland County]], [[Ontario (Canada)|Ontario]], lay north of Lake Erie some 12 miles west of Buffalo. The deed was given in 1828 to the "Mennonite Society" by Samuel Sherk. No record exists of the nature of the building until a brick church was built in 1853. This was replaced by a cement block church in 1917. Ministers who served are George Zavitz, Christian Herschi, John Zavitz, Benjamin Hershey, Peter Sherk, John Hershey, Nelson Michael, [[Bearss, Gilbert (1848-1940)|Gilbert Bearss]], Howard Stevanus, [[Hunsberger, Noah S. (1877-1958)|Noah Hunsberger]], and Simon B. Martin. For about 20 years before the building of the church in 1917 the congregation was nearly extinct. By 1925 there were only 25 members. With declining membership the church was sold to the [[Brethren in Christ Church |Brethren in Christ]] ("[[Tunkers|Tunkers]]" in Canada) in 1931, whose families dot the area, and the congregation dissolved. This was a very early settlement of Mennonites in Ontario, Jacob Zavitz (Sevitz) having come from [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]] in 1788. A score of families may have been the extent of the Bertie settlement, with as many or more in Willoughby Township further north near Niagara Falls. Their activity in the [[Mennonite Conference of Ontario and Quebec|Mennonite Conference of Ontario]] was apparently never very great.
 
Sherkston [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]], also known as Bertie Mennonite Church, now extinct, located on Lot 35, Concession 1 of [[Bertie Township (Welland County, Ontario, Canada)|Bertie Township, Welland County]], [[Ontario (Canada)|Ontario]], lay north of Lake Erie some 12 miles west of Buffalo. The deed was given in 1828 to the "Mennonite Society" by Samuel Sherk. No record exists of the nature of the building until a brick church was built in 1853. This was replaced by a cement block church in 1917. Ministers who served are George Zavitz, Christian Herschi, John Zavitz, Benjamin Hershey, Peter Sherk, John Hershey, Nelson Michael, [[Bearss, Gilbert (1848-1940)|Gilbert Bearss]], Howard Stevanus, [[Hunsberger, Noah S. (1877-1958)|Noah Hunsberger]], and Simon B. Martin. For about 20 years before the building of the church in 1917 the congregation was nearly extinct. By 1925 there were only 25 members. With declining membership the church was sold to the [[Brethren in Christ Church |Brethren in Christ]] ("[[Tunkers|Tunkers]]" in Canada) in 1931, whose families dot the area, and the congregation dissolved. This was a very early settlement of Mennonites in Ontario, Jacob Zavitz (Sevitz) having come from [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]] in 1788. A score of families may have been the extent of the Bertie settlement, with as many or more in Willoughby Township further north near Niagara Falls. Their activity in the [[Mennonite Conference of Ontario and Quebec|Mennonite Conference of Ontario]] was apparently never very great.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 515|date=1986|a1_last=Fretz|a1_first=Joseph C|a2_last=Epp|a2_first=Marlene}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 515|date=1986|a1_last=Fretz|a1_first=Joseph C|a2_last=Epp|a2_first=Marlene}}

Revision as of 19:32, 20 August 2013

Sherkston Mennonite Church, also known as Bertie Mennonite Church, now extinct, located on Lot 35, Concession 1 of Bertie Township, Welland County, Ontario, lay north of Lake Erie some 12 miles west of Buffalo. The deed was given in 1828 to the "Mennonite Society" by Samuel Sherk. No record exists of the nature of the building until a brick church was built in 1853. This was replaced by a cement block church in 1917. Ministers who served are George Zavitz, Christian Herschi, John Zavitz, Benjamin Hershey, Peter Sherk, John Hershey, Nelson Michael, Gilbert Bearss, Howard Stevanus, Noah Hunsberger, and Simon B. Martin. For about 20 years before the building of the church in 1917 the congregation was nearly extinct. By 1925 there were only 25 members. With declining membership the church was sold to the Brethren in Christ ("Tunkers" in Canada) in 1931, whose families dot the area, and the congregation dissolved. This was a very early settlement of Mennonites in Ontario, Jacob Zavitz (Sevitz) having come from Lancaster County in 1788. A score of families may have been the extent of the Bertie settlement, with as many or more in Willoughby Township further north near Niagara Falls. Their activity in the Mennonite Conference of Ontario was apparently never very great.


Author(s) Joseph C Fretz
Marlene Epp
Date Published 1986


Cite This Article

MLA style

Fretz, Joseph C and Marlene Epp. "Sherkston Mennonite Church (Sherkston, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1986. Web. 31 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sherkston_Mennonite_Church_(Sherkston,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=84927.

APA style

Fretz, Joseph C and Marlene Epp. (1986). Sherkston Mennonite Church (Sherkston, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sherkston_Mennonite_Church_(Sherkston,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=84927.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 515. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.