Shore Mennonite Church (Shipshewana, Indiana, USA)
The Shore Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), a member of the Indiana-Michigan Conference, is located one mile (1.5 km) south and one mile (1.5 km) east of Shipshewana, Lagrange County, Indiana, on State Road 20 near Shore Lake. In the early 1860s church services were held in a barn or homes of members. A few years later a schoolhouse was used for services. At this time the name Shore was given to the small village, the school, and the lake. The members residing in this community held membership with the Clinton Brick Mennonite Church, and many years after the church was organized the ministers served both congregations. In 1874 a site was donated by William Wiler, and a church 30 x 40 ft. was built on the west side of Shore Lake. The membership then was about 200. In 1893 this building was moved across the road and enlarged; it was replaced by a new church in 1929. Some of the early ministers who served at the Shore Mennonite Church were John Nusbaum, Henry A. Miller, and J. J. Weaver (who preached in English), P. Y. Lehman, James J. Mishler, John Garber, and P. J. Miller. In 1957 the bishop was Lee J. Miller (ordained 1945), and Josiah J. Miller and Percy J. Miller (ordained 1933) the ministers. The 1957 membership was 333.
In 2009 the membership was 323; the pastors were Brent Eash and Carl Horner.
Address: 7235 West US Hwy 20, Shipshewana, Indiana
Website: Shore Mennonite Church
Cite This Article
Coffman, Vinetta. "Shore Mennonite Church (Shipshewana, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 25 Apr 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Shore_Mennonite_Church_(Shipshewana,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=84939.
Coffman, Vinetta. (1958). Shore Mennonite Church (Shipshewana, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 April 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Shore_Mennonite_Church_(Shipshewana,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=84939.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 516. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.