Difference between revisions of "St. Mary's County Old Order Amish Settlement (Mechanicsville, Maryland, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
m
(2 intermediate revisions by one other user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The St. Mary's County ([[Maryland (USA)|Maryland]]) [[Old Order Amish|Old Order Amish]] Settlement was established when Amish families began to settle in this county around Mechanicsville in January 1940. The first arrivals were Stephen and Benjamin Stoltzfus and John L. Fisher from [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]]and Israel Swarey from [[Mifflin County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Mifflin County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]]. John L. Fisher was the first minister. In 1953 the district divided into two districts, known as the Southwest District or District A, and the Northwest District or District B. Both were served by John B. Fisher as bishop. The total baptized membership in 1956 was 86.
+
The St. Mary's County ([[Maryland (USA)|Maryland]]) [[Old Order Amish|Old Order Amish]] Settlement was established when Amish families began to settle in this county around Mechanicsville in January 1940. The first arrivals were Stephen and Benjamin Stoltzfus and John L. Fisher from [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]] and Israel Swarey from [[Mifflin County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Mifflin County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]]. John L. Fisher was the first minister. In 1953 the district divided into two districts, known as the Southwest District or District A, and the Northwest District or District B. Both were served by John B. Fisher as bishop. The total baptized membership in 1956 was 86.
 
 
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 402|date=1959|a1_last=Fisher|a1_first=John B|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 402|date=1959|a1_last=Fisher|a1_first=John B|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Revision as of 18:19, 15 January 2014

The St. Mary's County (Maryland) Old Order Amish Settlement was established when Amish families began to settle in this county around Mechanicsville in January 1940. The first arrivals were Stephen and Benjamin Stoltzfus and John L. Fisher from Lancaster County and Israel Swarey from Mifflin County, Pennsylvania. John L. Fisher was the first minister. In 1953 the district divided into two districts, known as the Southwest District or District A, and the Northwest District or District B. Both were served by John B. Fisher as bishop. The total baptized membership in 1956 was 86.


Author(s) John B Fisher
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Fisher, John B. "St. Mary's County Old Order Amish Settlement (Mechanicsville, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=St._Mary%27s_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Mechanicsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=105521.

APA style

Fisher, John B. (1959). St. Mary's County Old Order Amish Settlement (Mechanicsville, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=St._Mary%27s_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Mechanicsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=105521.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 402. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.