St. Mary's County Old Order Amish Settlement (Mechanicsville, Maryland, USA)

From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:50, 16 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (talk | contribs) (CSV import - 20130816)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The St. Mary's County (Maryland) Old Order Amish Settlement was established when Amish families began to settle in this county around Mechanicsville in January 1940. The first arrivals were Stephen and Benjamin Stoltzfus and John L. Fisher from Lancaster Countyand Israel Swarey from Mifflin County, Pennsylvania. John L. Fisher was the first minister. In 1953 the district divided into two districts, known as the Southwest District or District A, and the Northwest District or District B. Both were served by John B. Fisher as bishop. The total baptized membership in 1956 was 86.



Author(s) John B Fisher
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Fisher, John B. "St. Mary's County Old Order Amish Settlement (Mechanicsville, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=St._Mary%27s_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Mechanicsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=68375.

APA style

Fisher, John B. (1959). St. Mary's County Old Order Amish Settlement (Mechanicsville, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=St._Mary%27s_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Mechanicsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=68375.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 402. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.