From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130823)
(One intermediate revision by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Stahl [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]](MC), located 6 miles south of [[Johnstown (Pennsylvania, USA)|Johnstown]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], a member of the [[Allegheny Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Allegheny Conference]], had its first meetinghouse erected in 1882, called "Stahl" because the land was donated by John Stahl. Its first minister, Levi A. Blough, was ordained in 1890. The point at which it can be considered a separately organized congregation is difficult to determine. The conference minutes speak of a "Johnstown congregation" as late as 1896, although there were at that time four meetinghouses ([[Blough Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA)|Blough]]-1836, Weaver-1855, [[Thomas Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA)|Thomas]]-1874, and Stahl- 1882), and not until 1900 was mention made of 5 "congregations" or meetinghouses in the Johnstown district ([[Elton Mennonite Church (Elton, Pennsylvania, USA)|Elton]] was added in 1899), with a total membership of 487. The first <em>Mennonite Yearbook and Directory</em> (1905) lists Stahl with 176 members and S. G. Sheder (ordained 1897) and S. D. Yoder as ministers. Down to ca. 1940 all the congregations of the Johnstown district had one bishop. Stahl was S. G. Sheder's home congregation, and it was in its meetinghouse that he established (1922) and for many years (1925-35) served as principal of the [[Johnstown Bible School (Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA)|Johnstown Bible School]]. Near the church the [[Johnstown Mennonite School (Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA)|Johnstown Mennonite School]]was established in 1944, offering elementary and high-school work. In 1957 the Stahl congregation had a membership of 154, with Sanford G. Sheder as pastor and bishop (ordained 1952).
+
Stahl [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church ]](MC), located 6 miles south of [[Johnstown (Pennsylvania, USA)|Johnstown]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], a member of the [[Allegheny Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Allegheny Conference]], had its first meetinghouse erected in 1882, called "Stahl" because the land was donated by John Stahl. Its first minister, Levi A. Blough, was ordained in 1890. The point at which it can be considered a separately organized congregation is difficult to determine. The conference minutes speak of a "Johnstown congregation" as late as 1896, although there were at that time four meetinghouses ([[Blough Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA)|Blough]]-1836, Weaver-1855, [[Thomas Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA)|Thomas]]-1874, and Stahl- 1882), and not until 1900 was mention made of 5 "congregations" or meetinghouses in the Johnstown district ([[Elton Mennonite Church (Elton, Pennsylvania, USA)|Elton]] was added in 1899), with a total membership of 487. The first <em>Mennonite Yearbook and Directory</em> (1905) lists Stahl with 176 members and S. G. Sheder (ordained 1897) and S. D. Yoder as ministers. Down to ca. 1940 all the congregations of the Johnstown district had one bishop. Stahl was S. G. Sheder's home congregation, and it was in its meetinghouse that he established (1922) and for many years (1925-35) served as principal of the [[Johnstown Bible School (Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA)|Johnstown Bible School]]. Near the church the [[Johnstown Mennonite School (Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA)|Johnstown Mennonite School ]]was established in 1944, offering elementary and high-school work. In 1957 the Stahl congregation had a membership of 154, with Sanford G. Sheder as pastor and bishop (ordained 1952).
 
+
 
+
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
Kaufman, Ammon. "Stahl Mennonite Church." Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference <em>News </em>VI (January 1948): 3.
 
Kaufman, Ammon. "Stahl Mennonite Church." Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference <em>News </em>VI (January 1948): 3.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 609|date=1959|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, p. 609|date=1959|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Revision as of 14:50, 23 August 2013

Stahl Mennonite Church (MC), located 6 miles south of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, a member of the Allegheny Conference, had its first meetinghouse erected in 1882, called "Stahl" because the land was donated by John Stahl. Its first minister, Levi A. Blough, was ordained in 1890. The point at which it can be considered a separately organized congregation is difficult to determine. The conference minutes speak of a "Johnstown congregation" as late as 1896, although there were at that time four meetinghouses (Blough-1836, Weaver-1855, Thomas-1874, and Stahl- 1882), and not until 1900 was mention made of 5 "congregations" or meetinghouses in the Johnstown district (Elton was added in 1899), with a total membership of 487. The first Mennonite Yearbook and Directory (1905) lists Stahl with 176 members and S. G. Sheder (ordained 1897) and S. D. Yoder as ministers. Down to ca. 1940 all the congregations of the Johnstown district had one bishop. Stahl was S. G. Sheder's home congregation, and it was in its meetinghouse that he established (1922) and for many years (1925-35) served as principal of the Johnstown Bible School. Near the church the Johnstown Mennonite School was established in 1944, offering elementary and high-school work. In 1957 the Stahl congregation had a membership of 154, with Sanford G. Sheder as pastor and bishop (ordained 1952).

Bibliography

Kaufman, Ammon. "Stahl Mennonite Church." Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference News VI (January 1948): 3.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Stahl Mennonite Church (Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stahl_Mennonite_Church_(Johnstown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=96538.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). Stahl Mennonite Church (Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stahl_Mennonite_Church_(Johnstown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=96538.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 609. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.