From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m
Line 1: Line 1:
John Gehman Stauffer, Mennonite ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Church]]) publisher of [[Quakertown (Pennsylvania, USA)|Quakertown, Pennsylvania]], was born near Spinnerstown, Milford Township, [[Bucks County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Bucks County, Pennsylvania]], on 18 September 1837, a direct descendant of the immigrant Hans Stauffer (arrived 1710 at Valley Forge), and the son of Jacob O. and Elizabeth (Hiestand) Stauffer. In November 1856 he entered the employ of the Mennonitischer Druckverein in Milford Square, soon becoming manager of the small business, as well as compositor, printer, and assistant editor. The chief business of the shop was the publication of <em>Das Christliche Volks-Blatt</em> (first issue June 30, 1856). Stauffer continued as an employee in the shop until in 1867 when he apparently bought the shop and continued to print the publications of the Druckverein and its successors on a job basis. In 1881 he moved his shop and family to Quakertown, calling the shop the Quakertown Printing and Publishing House. He printed most of the books, pamphlets, etc., for [[Oberholtzer, John H. (1809-1895)|John Oberholtzer]].
+
John Gehman Stauffer, Mennonite ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Church]]) publisher of [[Quakertown (Pennsylvania, USA)|Quakertown, Pennsylvania]], was born near Spinnerstown, Milford Township, [[Bucks County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Bucks County, Pennsylvania]], on 18 September 1837, a direct descendant of the immigrant Hans Stauffer (arrived 1710 at Valley Forge), and the son of Jacob O. and Elizabeth (Hiestand) Stauffer. In November 1856 he entered the employ of the Mennonitischer Druckverein in Milford Square, soon becoming manager of the small business, as well as compositor, printer, and assistant editor. The chief business of the shop was the publication of <em>Das Christliche Volks-Blatt</em> (first issue 30 June 1856). Stauffer continued as an employee in the shop until in 1867 when he apparently bought the shop and continued to print the publications of the Druckverein and its successors on a job basis. In 1881 he moved his shop and family to Quakertown, calling the shop the Quakertown Printing and Publishing House. He printed most of the books, pamphlets, etc., for [[Oberholtzer, John H. (1809-1895)|John Oberholtzer]].
  
After he bought the print shop in 1867 Stauffer started publishing a German weekly local newspaper, <em>Independent Reformer</em>, later changed to <em>Der Reformer</em>, then to <em>Patriot</em> and <em>Reformer</em>, for a time also apparently as <em>Der Bucks County Patriot und Reformer und Agriculturist</em> (see Reformer und Agriculturist); it is very difficult at this date to secure a clear idea of these various publications and their relation to each other. In August 1881 he started an English weekly, the <em>[[Mennonitische Druckverein|Quakertown Free Press]]</em>, which he sold in July 1882.
+
After he bought the print shop in 1867 Stauffer started publishing a German weekly local newspaper, <em>Independent Reformer</em>, later changed to <em>Der Reformer</em>, then to <em>Patriot and Reformer</em>, for a time also apparently as <em>Der Bucks County Patriot und Reformer und Agriculturist</em> (see [[Reformer und Agriculturist und Allgemeiner Neuigkeits-Berichter (Periodical)|Reformer und Agriculturist]]); it is very difficult at this date to secure a clear idea of these various publications and their relation to each other. In August 1881 he started an English weekly, the <em>[[Mennonitische Druckverein|Quakertown Free Press]]</em>, which he sold in July 1882.
  
Stauffer's strong religious interest was expressed in his publication of the German and English monthly Sunday-school papers, <em>Himmelsmanna </em>(1876-1906) and <em>Manna</em> (1879-1908), and the monthly <em>Die Kirche</em> (soon changed to <em>Gemeinde unterm Kreuz</em> (1885-91). He published the last paper as a staunch Mennonite journal, with a circulation of about 2,000, until about 1889, when he seemingly lost interest in the Mennonite Church. <em>Die Gemeinde unterm Kreuz</em> was of course in direct competition with the General Conference Mennonite Church organ, <em>[[Christlicher Bundesbote (Periodical)|Christlicher Bundesbote]]</em>, and it may be that he found it impossible to secure the necessary Mennonite support to keep it going. An evaluation of Stauffer's work is given in the article <em>Kirche unterm Kreuz.</em> Daniel G. Stauffer was a brother. The Uriah S. Stauffer (b. 1859) who took charge of J. G. Stauffer's shop in 1880 and soon bought out the <em>Quakertown Free Press</em> and the <em>Patriot and Reformer</em> was a son of Enos Stauffer, a relative of J. G. Stauffer. J. G. Stauffer married Sarah Geissinger on 11 June 1870. They had two children, Berend G. and Anna. He died in 1911 at the home of his daughter in [[California (USA)|California]].
+
Stauffer's strong religious interest was expressed in his publication of the German and English monthly Sunday-school papers, <em>Himmelsmanna </em>(1876-1906) and <em>Manna</em> (1879-1908), and the monthly <em>Die Kirche</em> (soon changed to <em>Gemeinde unterm Kreuz</em> [1885-91]). He published the last paper as a staunch Mennonite journal, with a circulation of about 2,000, until about 1889, when he seemingly lost interest in the Mennonite Church. <em>Die Gemeinde unterm Kreuz</em> was of course in direct competition with the General Conference Mennonite Church organ, <em>[[Christlicher Bundesbote (Periodical)|Christlicher Bundesbote]]</em>, and it may be that he found it impossible to secure the necessary Mennonite support to keep it going. An evaluation of Stauffer's work is given in the article <em>Kirche unterm Kreuz.</em> Daniel G. Stauffer was a brother. The Uriah S. Stauffer (b. 1859) who took charge of J. G. Stauffer's shop in 1880 and soon bought out the <em>Quakertown Free Press</em> and the <em>Patriot and Reformer</em> was a son of Enos Stauffer, a relative of J. G. Stauffer. J. G. Stauffer married Sarah Geissinger on 11 June 1870. They had two children, Berend G. and Anna. He died in 1911 at the home of his daughter in [[California (USA)|California]].
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
Battle, J. <em>History of Bucks County</em>. Philadelphia, 1887: 1067 f., contains a biographical sketch of J. G. Stauffer.
 
Battle, J. <em>History of Bucks County</em>. Philadelphia, 1887: 1067 f., contains a biographical sketch of J. G. Stauffer.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, pp. 620-621|date=1959|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, pp. 620-621|date=1959|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Revision as of 17:42, 12 February 2014

John Gehman Stauffer, Mennonite (General Conference Church) publisher of Quakertown, Pennsylvania, was born near Spinnerstown, Milford Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, on 18 September 1837, a direct descendant of the immigrant Hans Stauffer (arrived 1710 at Valley Forge), and the son of Jacob O. and Elizabeth (Hiestand) Stauffer. In November 1856 he entered the employ of the Mennonitischer Druckverein in Milford Square, soon becoming manager of the small business, as well as compositor, printer, and assistant editor. The chief business of the shop was the publication of Das Christliche Volks-Blatt (first issue 30 June 1856). Stauffer continued as an employee in the shop until in 1867 when he apparently bought the shop and continued to print the publications of the Druckverein and its successors on a job basis. In 1881 he moved his shop and family to Quakertown, calling the shop the Quakertown Printing and Publishing House. He printed most of the books, pamphlets, etc., for John Oberholtzer.

After he bought the print shop in 1867 Stauffer started publishing a German weekly local newspaper, Independent Reformer, later changed to Der Reformer, then to Patriot and Reformer, for a time also apparently as Der Bucks County Patriot und Reformer und Agriculturist (see Reformer und Agriculturist); it is very difficult at this date to secure a clear idea of these various publications and their relation to each other. In August 1881 he started an English weekly, the Quakertown Free Press, which he sold in July 1882.

Stauffer's strong religious interest was expressed in his publication of the German and English monthly Sunday-school papers, Himmelsmanna (1876-1906) and Manna (1879-1908), and the monthly Die Kirche (soon changed to Gemeinde unterm Kreuz [1885-91]). He published the last paper as a staunch Mennonite journal, with a circulation of about 2,000, until about 1889, when he seemingly lost interest in the Mennonite Church. Die Gemeinde unterm Kreuz was of course in direct competition with the General Conference Mennonite Church organ, Christlicher Bundesbote, and it may be that he found it impossible to secure the necessary Mennonite support to keep it going. An evaluation of Stauffer's work is given in the article Kirche unterm Kreuz. Daniel G. Stauffer was a brother. The Uriah S. Stauffer (b. 1859) who took charge of J. G. Stauffer's shop in 1880 and soon bought out the Quakertown Free Press and the Patriot and Reformer was a son of Enos Stauffer, a relative of J. G. Stauffer. J. G. Stauffer married Sarah Geissinger on 11 June 1870. They had two children, Berend G. and Anna. He died in 1911 at the home of his daughter in California.

Bibliography

Battle, J. History of Bucks County. Philadelphia, 1887: 1067 f., contains a biographical sketch of J. G. Stauffer.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Stauffer, John Gehman (1837-1911)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stauffer,_John_Gehman_(1837-1911)&oldid=112870.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). Stauffer, John Gehman (1837-1911). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stauffer,_John_Gehman_(1837-1911)&oldid=112870.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 620-621. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.