This article describes the school as it existed in the late 1950s.
Steinbach Bible College (formerly Steinbach Bible Institute), located at Steinbach, Manitoba, is a school with a three-year course in Bible and a three-year course in secular secondary education accredited by the Department of Education of the Province of Manitoba. Its primary purpose is to prepare Christians for effective Christian service. The Steinbach Bible Institute had its beginning in the fall of 1931 as the Steinbach Bible School with classes, both day and evening, conducted by a Mennonite Brethren minister, Jacob W. Reimer, and a Mennonite Alliance minister, Isaac Ediger. The following year an Evangelical Mennonite Brethren minister, Henry P. Fast, replaced Ediger. Four years later (1936), under the sponsorship of seven men of the Mennonite Brethren Church, classes were again begun in the local M.B. church under a new staff of two teachers.
In the fall of 1938 a Bible School Association (Bibelschulverein) was organized, composed of members of four Mennonite churches of Steinbach and vicinity, which elected a board of directors to operate the school. This meant that the school was now to be interdenominational. The following year the Bible School moved into its own property and classroom building, and by 1942 had some 42 students.
In the fall of 1946 a high-school curriculum was introduced, and the name changed to Steinbach Bible Academy. After a few years the high-school department was dropped, but was reinstated in the fall of 1953, when a new constitution was written and the administration changed from the Verein to a corporation of directors or self-perpetuating board, and the name was changed to Steinbach Bible Institute. The emphasis has also shifted from the building of Christian character and training Sunday-school teachers, to the training of young people for Christian service, especially missions, both home and foreign. As a result a large percentage of students and graduates are entering mission work.
In 1955 the school was moved to a new campus of some thirteen acres just outside Steinbach, with completely new classroom, laboratory, dormitory, dining, and library facilities. The school is now offering a three-year course in Bible and theology, a two-year course in Christian education, and grades ten, eleven, and twelve. Grade twelve is an accredited first-year college course. During the school year 1954-55 the school had 12 teachers, 98 students in the day classes, and 42 in the evening classes. In 1957-58 the day enrollment was 154. More housing has been provided since 1956. B. D. Reimer was long principal, followed by Archie Penner in 1958.
Bible Institute Catalog (1941-58).
The Star (Annual of the Steinbach Bible Institute) 1947-58.
College Website: http://sbcollege.ca/
Cite This Article
Penner, Archie. "Steinbach Bible College (Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 3 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Steinbach_Bible_College_(Steinbach,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=113035.
Penner, Archie. (1959). Steinbach Bible College (Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Steinbach_Bible_College_(Steinbach,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=113035.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.