The Stirling Mennonite congregation at Raymond, AB began services in 1946, and formally organized in 1947. John J. Hofer and John Hofer are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation was begun by a group which left a nearby Hutterite settlement. Initially they were associated with the Alberta-Saskatchewan Conference of the Mennonite Church, to whom they appealed for assistance in starting a congregation. Eleven members were received as members of the Mennonite Church on 10 November 1946. Stirling was formerly part of the Upper Fraser Mennonite Fellowship.
In 1965 there were 28 members; in 1975, 51; in 1985, 63; in 1995, 33; in 2000, 34. The congregation has been affiliated with the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference (1946-64) and the Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship (1964-). The language of worship is English.
The congregation's address is Box 1027, Raymond, AB, T0K 2S0. (403) 756-3762. The building is located 8 km east of Raymond on Hwy. 52, 5 km west of Hwy 4 on Hwy 52. Bishop Edwin J. Bontrager served in 2001 as a non-salaried congregational leader.
Mennonite Reporter (22 August 1994): 17.
Stauffer, Ezra. History of the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference. 1960: 34.
|Date Published||July 1986|
Cite This Article
Stauffer, Ezra and Marlene Epp. "Stirling Mennonite Church (Raymond, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 1986. Web. 22 Feb 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stirling_Mennonite_Church_(Raymond,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=77926.
Stauffer, Ezra and Marlene Epp. (July 1986). Stirling Mennonite Church (Raymond, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 February 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stirling_Mennonite_Church_(Raymond,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=77926.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.