Pyotr (Peter) Arkadyevich Stolypin became prime minister of Russiain
1906 and suppressed the revolution at that time. He introduced agricultural laws to enable landless peasants and small farmers to acquire crown land. The Mennonites also benefited by this law when they obtained land in the Kulundian Steppes and established the Slavgorod settlement
in Siberia. On 10 September 1910, Stolypin visited the Slavgorod Mennonite settlement, on which occasion he was received by the Oberschulze Jacob A. Reimer
and the minister Peter J. Wiebe. Possibly in part as a result of this meeting a post office and a hospital were erected in Orloff
and a branch line of the Trans-Siberian Railroad built from Tatarskaya to Slavgorod. In memory of its benefactor, the Slavgorod Mennonites erected a memorial to Peter A. Stolypin in Orloff in 1912. Stolypin was killed by a revolutionary in Kiev in 18 September 1911.
Der Bote (13 August 1952): 5.
Fast, Gerhard. In den Steppen Sibiriens. Rosthern, 1957: 29 ff.
|| Cornelius Krahn
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Stolypin, Pyotr A. (1862-1911)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 11 Dec 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stolypin,_Pyotr_A._(1862-1911)&oldid=77980.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Stolypin, Pyotr A. (1862-1911). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 11 December 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stolypin,_Pyotr_A._(1862-1911)&oldid=77980.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 4, p. 636. All rights reserved.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.