From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Stuartburn Sommerfeld Mennonite congregation at Stuartburn, MB began services about 1937, although worship services were held in private homes prior to that date. The first building was occupied in 1937. The present meetinghouse was moved from Osterwick in 1967 when that church closed. Sunday school began in 1959.

 In 1993 there were 40 members. The congregation has been affiliated with the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church of Manitoba. The language of worship in the 1990s was German and English, though Sunday school was entirely in English.

Pastoral leaders that have served at Stuartburn include Jacob Loewen and Henry T. Schroeder.

The church building is located 4 km west of Stuartburn on the south side of the Morden-Sprague highway.

[edit] Bibliography

Bergen, Peter. History of the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church : That is the Background and First Hundred Years of the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church. Altona, MB: The Church, 2001: 203-204.

Peters, Jake. "An Annotated Bibliography of Materials Relating to the Sommerfelder Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1979.

Sommerfeld Mennonite Church Centennial Celebrations, July 4, 1993, Morris, Manitoba, 1893-1993. 1993: 18.


Author(s) Sam Steiner
Date Published March 1997


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Sam. "Stuartburn Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Stuartburn, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 1997. Web. 2 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stuartburn_Sommerfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Stuartburn,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=117540.

APA style

Steiner, Sam. (March 1997). Stuartburn Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Stuartburn, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stuartburn_Sommerfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Stuartburn,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=117540.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.