Stumptown Mennonite Church, located in Bird in Hand near Monterey, 8 miles northeast of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Upper Leacock Township, is a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. The church had its beginnings in 1781 and was an outgrowth of the enlarging Mellinger congregation to the northeast. Services were first held in homes until 1815, when the Stumptown school house was used for meetings. In 1846 a worship center was built. This was enlarged in 1882 and replaced in 1916 by a 48 x 80 ft. brick structure. It was here during the summer of 1868 that John B. Landis and John Stauffer and their wives conducted a small Sunday school before the movement had conference approval. It was a part of the Mellinger-Stumptown circuit until a recent decade.
In the mid-1950s Elmer G. Martin is bishop, Lloyd M. Eby and John G. Oberholtzer ministers. This was the home congregation of Preacher Sanford B. Landis (1868-1926). The membership in 1957 was 310.
In 2005 there was a very major addition of a new sanctuary, church offices, a foyer and a larger fellowship hall and many new classrooms with full handicap accessibility and air conditioning.
 Additional Information
Address: 2813 Stumptown Road, Bird In Hand, PA 17505-9744
Website: Stumptown Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Stumptown Mennonite Church (Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 Oct 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stumptown_Mennonite_Church_(Bird-in-Hand,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=121638.
Landis, Ira D. (1959). Stumptown Mennonite Church (Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 October 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stumptown_Mennonite_Church_(Bird-in-Hand,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=121638.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.